I am running Conductor X2.3 and VCS X8.1.1, and I have ran into an issue with auto dial functionality. A brief description of what I am experiencing is below:
For example, I have a meeting alias, meet.boss.HD@mydomain.com, which is configured to auto dial email@example.com. All search rules are correct in that an external endpoint can connect to meet.boss.HD@mydomain.com, and in the Conductor event log, I see an entry to call firstname.lastname@example.org. But email@example.com is not connected to the conference. Upon reviewing the MCU the conference resides on, I see a call attempt to a very long alpha-numeric URI with the management address listed rather than firstname.lastname@example.org.
I have deleted the configurations and re-created from scratch, but still the same results. I have disabled HTTPS to see if that would help matters, but no joy. So now I am back the vanilla configuration, and posting here in the event someone else has experienced this issue and can provide guidance.
Do you have your Conductor deployed exactly per the documentation? Making sure the MCU is not directly registered at all to your VCS. The reason you're seeing a long alpha-numeric call string is because that is the endpoint GUID within Conductor. Conductor actually tells the MCU to dial the endpoint by going through itself which then sends the call to the VCS.
Do you see anything in your VCS search rules regarding the "email@example.com" call attempt? If so, can you paste the that search history here. If you do not see anything in your VCS search history, than please explain how you have Conductor setup with your VCS, being as specific as possible (screenshots would work best).
Unfortunately, another project stopped my deployment of conductor, but I plan on updating VCS and Conductor to the latest releases (X8.2.2 and XC2.4.1, respectively) late this week/early next week. Once updated, I will perform the tests again. I will try to remember to update this thread, but if not, ping me for a status update.
These are the paths to get to each CCX logs through CLI. They may be helpful if you are having issues accessing RTMT or downloading logs through it.
If you want to download them you have to prefix "file get " and you can add one of the options (re...