cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Control AV equipment with Touch 10

nrunge1
Level 1
Level 1

We are currently controlling multiple inputs to our SX80 codecs with some Extron AV equipment that has a wall plate with push button controls. 

Almost every user of these rooms complains about having to interface with both the Touch 10 and the AV controls.

I'm guessing the answer is no considering the Touch 10 plugs directly into the codec however was just curious if anyone has been able to take the Touch 10 and customize it to control other AV components to have a single point of administration. 

Or on the flip side are there third party options that can control the SX80?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could use Crestron or AMX to control the SX80.

I have seen a poof of concept last year where Cisco was giving a demo of where a Touch 10 could control room functions such as a light.  The Touch 10 contained custom UI controls and those were relayed to a Crestron processor.

View solution in original post

34 Replies 34

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could use Crestron or AMX to control the SX80.

I have seen a poof of concept last year where Cisco was giving a demo of where a Touch 10 could control room functions such as a light.  The Touch 10 contained custom UI controls and those were relayed to a Crestron processor.

As [@patrick.sparkman] mentioned - there was a proof of concept demo of a Touch10 that could control other systems - from my understanding from some discussions with some back end people, the Touch10 in this scenario was running a basic Android OS, so could use third party control apps. From what I heard, this was just a development prototype/proof of concept, and there were no plans to release this type of thing at this stage as it was not fully developed or stable enough for general release.

Again, as suggested (+5 to that post), your can use Crestron or AMX system to control the Cisco endpoints as well as your room AV and lighting systems.  They need some development and appropriate interfaces to everything constructed.  There are some old code and module examples on the Cisco DevNet web site.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Looks like CE 8.1 is available now.  Unfortunately the link to the supporting document for in-room control is broken.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/endpoint/software/ce8/release-notes/ce-software-release-notes-ce8.pdf

Broken link within release notes

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/endpoint/ce80/sx-mx-in-room-control-guide- ce81.pdf 

Appears the In-room Control guide has been published.  Since CE8.1 was just released end of last week, it sometimes take a little extra time for supplement documents to get posted to the website.

Video posted about a week ago as a demo, link to guide still out

https://youtu.be/7dw9zvvitp8

Hey Community :)

is there any guide for the crestron side as well?

I'm not aware of crestron programming - and we don't have a crestron programmer in our company.

My problem is currently to connect the crestron controller with the sx20 codec :( ... is there any guide or any support document with more details and any hints for dummies? :D

thanks in advance,

Best regards - Thomas

We contract out for Crestron programming. 

There is this:

http://www.crestron.com/downloads/pdf/product_misc/sw-simpl_primer.pdf

And if you go to youtube abd search on Crestron Programming there are a few tutorials.

But if you are trying to do anything beyond a few really basic things you would be better off finding a freelance programmer or an integrator to provide programming services.

If you can make the Crestron system available via the network / internet they can access it remotely. If that is not an option, they could provide you with Crestron Toolbox so that they can email you the compiled program with instructions on how to load it.

ALSO!!!! If you engage a programmer, make sure in your agreement that all code generates for your system belongs to you. This would include the controller code, touch panel code and the touch panel graphics.

Hello Thomas!

It's quite easy on the CRESTRON side:

http://applicationmarket.crestron.com/cisco-touch-10-room-control-v1-0/

provides a free macro/module/library so even a semi-pro Crestron programmer should be able to do it.

Dont hesitate to contact me reg. Crestron programming..... ;-)

Best Regards from Vienna, Austria

Harald

HST Consulting - raising the bar

Hello,

With reference to the above article, Is there any confirmation on the subjected matter.

Thanks,

Pravin

What do you mean by "subjected matter"?  Is there anything you're looking for specifically or want to know more about?

Dear Patrick,

I am looking for "how to implement cisco touch 10 or touch 8 integration with crestron or amx control processor.However I read the manual and understand the basic requirement.Need detailed  information such how cisco vc unit can be code sender to processor to control all other devices.

Thanks

Pravin.+91 9619901807

It's only supported on endpoints that are capable or running CE8 software that are paired with a Touch 10, endpoints that run TC software or are paired with a Touch 8 aren't supported.

Did you look at the CE8 In-Room Control Guide?  As it contains everything you need to get started.

The control processor is connected to the codec via RS232 or SSH for example, the processor is programmed to watch for certain API strings from the codec that represent someone using the in-room control UI that you created.  When it sees a particular event, lets say to turn on the TV, the processor then sends the command to simply turn on the TV.  For an example of what I described, refer to the flowchart on pg 18 in the guide.

Thanks..Para 1 is indeed helpful.

I do read and continue to understand the basics of it.

Just to understand more,Lets say in real  & normal scenario.. Crestron touch panel sends command to control processor,programmed to control TV  on/ off.Working.

Now I have cisco VC unit with touch 10.I made GUI for TV control on touch 10.Also I have connected Cisco codec to processor through RS232 and I can able to control VC unit. the crux is to make API or next course of action is uncleared.

Is it we need to make widgets for particular function. or How command touches from touch 10 flows to control processor, Is it the Codec is d medium between processor n cisco touch panel,If so how I am sending command from touch panel to processor and command is in some format?

Thanks 

Pravin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: