Views
Helpful
Replies

CTS Components

aprasanna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

need help in understanding the components required for a CTS system. We are providing a budgetory or 5 sites with a mixture of CTS 3XXX, 1XXX and Profile series endpoints.

Apart from CUCM what other components would i need to get all the endpoints registered, do multipoint calls between themselves and get calls scheduled for one touch calling?

regards

Prasanna

1 Reply 1

In order to provide multipoint calls, you will need Cisco Telepresence Multipoint Switch (CTMS) or Telepresence Server.  The CTMS is much cheaper and probably easier to administer, but the Telepresence Server provides interoperability with non-CTS systems in the same conference.  If you are only really interested in  hosting conferences with CTS systems, CTMS is probably the way to go.  To my knowledge, Profile series endpoints don't work with CTMS but I think they will soon (hopefully one of the Cisco people on this forum can verify this?).

If you end up using CTMS, you will need CTS Manager + licenses for each endpoint for scheduling and you will need to integrate it with outlook or Lotus Notes, you can't schedule directly from CTS-Man (it acts as an intermediary between your CTS infrastructure and outlook).

If you end up using Telepresence Server, you will probably want Telepresence Management Suite (TMS) for scheduling (although I think CTS-Manager will be able to schedule Telepresence server soon?).  TMS doesn't have to integrate with outlook but it can if you want.

As someone who's worked heavily with both TMS/Telepresence Server and CTS-Man/CTMS solutions, I would say that if you don't need the expanded features of TMS/TP Server, use CTMS/CTS-Man.