cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CTS screen switching in TS8710

rfrome
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking for a doc, presentation or other information that is essentially the equivilant of the CTMS documentation on room/speaker switching. I am trying to understand the correct behavior for how CTS rooms will behave in a Multi-point call using TS8710.

At this time, I have  two CTS3210s and a CTS1300 in a conference hosted on the TS8710. If the people in the CTS1300 room become the active speaker, that display is then placed in the center position of my CTS3210 screens, and the other CTS3210 then is reduced to just the active present view in the center screen as well.

Is there a way to set specific layouts for the CTS rooms? I'd like this to behave similiar to the CTMS, where the 1300 would just take over one of the three screens. Is this possible?

thx,

robert

7 Replies 7

crisalex
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI,

For a better understanding of the various TS 8710 layouts please consult the following document :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/ts/user_guide/Cisco_TelePresence_Server_2-2_Product_user_guide.pdf

Reffer to the : "Understanding how participants display in layout views" section, page 132

Cristian

I've seen this document, and I am sure it is describes the correct behavior for the Tandberg gear. However, this does not seem to cover the CTS endpoints.

The Cisco CTMS has a concept of either site or speaker switching. The behavior of the far end sites is very well documented, and customers migrating from that model to the 8710 are asking for similar information. Do we have a doc or preso that covers how the far end sites are presented on a CTS three screen room?

Thx,

Robert

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

For a 3-screen room you need to look under 'layouts sent to 3 screen systems' on page 134 of the document that Cristian linked to. If a participant in another 3-screen room is the loudest speaker, then all three panes of that loudest room will be displayed full screen, with the other participants in the smaller PiP panes at the bottom of the image.

If a participant in a single screen room is the loudest speaker, then they will be displayed full screen on one of the three screens, and the other two screens will be occupied by another two single-screen sites (if available).

In the context of CTMS, the behaviour is consistent with the CTMS 'Room switching' mode for 3-screen systems, but with 'Speaker switching' for single-screen systems and added PiPs - a 3 screen room will never be 'broken up' into individual segments. A CTS 3000 and a T3 system are treated identically from this point of view.

However when sending video to a single-screen system, it will do 'panel switching' if enabled and display the loudest segment of a 3-screen system with a row of PiPs underneath.

Edit: To answer your original question, no it is not possible to see the outer two screens of the 3200 with the 1300 occupying the centre screen.

I am seeing similar behaviour that’s not preserving the immersive experience.

With multi-point conferences between single screen systems (CTS or C range codecs) and CTS3010's/CTS 3210's hosted on the 8710. When any Single Screen system is the loudest speaker, that display is placed in the centre screen of the three screen systems and the outer two screens become black, which has been reported so disruptive to the immersive experience by some customers, they do not want to have single screen systems join their conferences. Are there any options to change this behaviour or is this the expected experience?

This sounds like the expected experience if you only have one single-screen system present.

Leigh,

If that is the expected behavior, I think I agree with your users. I wouldn't want to see that either.

I would have your channel rep open a defect or enhancement case. It is disappointing to see us go backwards in terms of features or functionality in the spirit of "integrating" the product lines.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Yes, we have users who are used to CTMS that when they have a TS server 8710 hosted meeting they complain about the screen switching.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: