cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.6 H323 or SIP trunk to Polycom CMA

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Im looking at the pros/cons when setting up CUCM 8.6 h323 or SIP trunk to Polycom CMA.    Basically, I have a Polycom eviroment with different endpoints such as different V series endpoints (personal and conference room).   I have CUCM 8.6 with different video endpoints such as the 9971, E20, CUPC, etc.

If I were to create an H323 or SIP trunk to the CMA, could I effectively use an 9971 to call a Polycom V1500 device registered to the CMA and vice versa and not lose any video quality?    Or to do this, the only option is to put a VCS in the middle?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

cfiestas
Level 1
Level 1

Tommer,

A SIP trunk is just a logical connection that enable 2 different environments with the purpose of setting up the signalling as well as the media. If you can create a SIP trunk from the UCM to your Polycom environment and as long the signalling and the media are able to flow smoothly between the 2 environments I dont really see a problem. If you have issues (media) when your sip trunk is up between your UCM and your polycom environment (also given that you have your Partitions, CSS's and route pattern correct) please feel free to post your UCM SIP logs (properly extracted using RTMT) and I will be more than happy to reviews your logs for you

Cesar Fiestas

Cesar Fiestas

Actually had a chat with some Tandberg guys and said it is possible, but the issue is that SIP from the E20 and then CUCM converting H323 at the trunk really degrades the video. The VCS controller is really there for the whole video conversion process from SIP to h323.

But thanks for the reply!

Tommer

I was debating doing the same and spent months with it until I found this:

I think the best way to go is with CUCM SIP trunk to RMX (if you don't have DMA)

SIP Endpoint Video and Camera Support for Cisco Unified IP Phones 8961, 9951, and 9971

Cisco Unified CME 8.6 and later versions add phone-based video support and Universal Serial Bus (USB) camera support for Cisco Unified IP Phones 8961, 9951, and 9971. The Cisco Unified IP Phones 8961, 9951, and 9971 display local video using the USB camera. Cisco Unified IP Phones 9951 and 9971 with phone load 9.1.1 decode remote incoming video RTP streams and display the video on the phone's display screen. However, the video and USB camera capabilities of these two phones are disabled on Cisco Unified CME by default and are enabled by setting up the video and camera parameters in the phone provisioning file.

Cisco Unified CME 8.6 supports local SIP-video-to-SIP-video calls and SIP-video-to-SCCP-CUVA-video calls on Cisco Unified IP Phones 8961, 9951, and 9971 on the line side. On the trunk side, SIP video call is only supported with SIP trunk. H323 trunk is not supported for video calls on Cisco Unified IP Phones 9951 and 9971.

The media path for SIP video call is flow through and media flow-around is not supported for SIP line in Cisco Unified CME.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmevideo.html#wp1029496

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: