cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Damaged Touch Control for Profile w/ C40

Dave Bohn
Level 1
Level 1

One of the touch controls for a 52" profile was damaged today, but still works.  The model # is a CT-CTRL-DVC8 which looks the exact same as the CT-CTRL-DV8 which I have on an EX60 that I usea as my test unit.  Is there any reason I can't physically go into the circuit board and disconnect the connections and swap the two around?  I'm guessing they are the exact same other than the profile using the PS to add length via a network cable and the EX60 just being a simple analog control cable.  I can't justify buying a new touch screen and thought this might work.  Thanks, Dave.

8 Replies 8

Vernon Depee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dave,

I'm a bit confused as to why you would need to access the circuit board. Is this a C-series 52" profile? If I'm not mistaken, the plug that goes into an EX60 is the same as the plug that goes into the POE injector (PSU-DVC-POE13V=). Does your profile unit have a POE injector?

No the cord on the profile unit is 15' long and goes into the POE while the one on the EX60 is about 3' and is not the standard RJ45 network end and goes directly to the back of the EX in that port.

Dave,

The touchpanel cable that goes into the POE should not have an RJ45 terminator. It should have exactly the same type of terminator as the touch being used for the ex unit. I have both an ex touchpanel and a touchpanel for c-series units at my desk and I have verified that they have the same connectors.

It should be like this:

Touchpanel (cable connector is inside touch) ----- (connector that I don't know the name of, but the same type for EX-units) POE injector (RJ45) ---- (RJ45) either switch port or second LAN port on codec

I will have to run down to the unit and snap a few pictures.  Have you physically taken the cord out of the back of the touch panel before?  At the end of the day that is the connection which I would need to remove since the cables on the two units are different lengths. 

On a side note I would like to increase the EX60 cable length so I can have the remote sitting on the desktop 10' away rather than the current 3'.

Dave,

There should be no need for that. Once you have the POE injector, you can just run a long ethernet cable to either connect into the unit or connect to a switchport.

Cisco cannot condone or support opening up a touch unit and removing the connector. If the length of the cable is your only concern, then you can extend the effective length by using a longer ethernet cable on the other side of the injector.

Dave Bohn
Level 1
Level 1

Here are a few snap shots of the damaged unit and my two other devices.  The damaged one has the extra long cable while my EX60 has the shorter one.  My question was is there a way I can physically swap the two cables around?  You are correct they have the same ends but adding a longer ethernet cable will also result in having to add a longer power cable for the POE and then you have that device sitting on the desktop too.

So in conclusion there is no simple way to increase the cable length?

David,

Aside from using a longer ethernet/power cable on the POE adapter, I cannot think of any other way to increase the cable length. Opening up the touch panel would void your warranty and although you may find some way to move the connections, if anything were to ever go wrong with the unit, you would be unable to get a replacement or support from Cisco TAC.

Could you consider mounting the POE injector underneath a desk? That would keep the unit and possibly the cables out of sight.

I would have to see if this other location has a power outlet close enough for that to work. 

On the other side of things I still have a broken touch panel which I would guess is not covered by the warranty now.  My EX unit is in good working order so I agress breaking that would not help the situation while trying to figure out a way to swap the two around.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: