cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Direct point to point media between two systems registered on the VCS Expressway over the Internet behind NAT(PAT)

mguguvcevski
Level 1
Level 1

As the VCS Expressway knows how to handle NAT (PAT) with different IP addresses in SIP (H.323) signaling and L3 IP source, it always takes the media in this case when the AOR does not equal the SIP URI of an endpoint.

Consequently the VCS Expressway acts as a MTP for all calls, even if two endpoints sit side by side on the same premises (office) in the same subnet.

I was wondering if there is any way to circumvent this default behavior and introduce more granularity as when the VCS takes and when it does not take the media in these scenarios.

Thank you and best regards,

Mihail         

3 Replies 3

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mihail,

When you make a common traversal call with VCSe, the behavior will be only the same, you will have media traffic crossing VCSe. But there are some protocols which allow the client to choose the best media path to communicate with the far end, VCS does support these protocols, which are TURN and ICE. With these protocols the client can choose a different media path other than passing media through VCSe.

To have this working, you need VCSe with TURN license enable and you need a client that supports these protocols. Cisco Jabber for Telepresence supports ICE/TURN features, but another TC Endpoints does not support in this moment.

You can find further information about this matter in VCS Administrator Guide.

Regards

Paulo Souza

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Hi Paulo,

I am aware of the fact that Jabber Video for TP supports it, but I was looking more into Cisco TC sw based endpoints that support ICE.

I guess, for now we will have to wait for X8 and Cisco Collaboration Edge strategy, when we will eventually also move to Jabber on CUCM/IM&Presence.

Regards,

Mihail

Hi Mihail,

In fact, you can expect some ICE support in TC endpoints in the future, I cannot say exactly the version where we will have this feature, because this is a restricted information, but you can contact your Cisco representative, he will be able to provide you more information about future features of TC endpoints.

Regards

Paulo Souza

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: