cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable Jabber Video Auto Start/Login

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is there a way to either disable the auto start and auto login for Jabber Video either with a .msi switch or registry settings?           

I know you can set the auto login via registry according to the discussion linked below, but is there a way to completly disable both options so they can't be checked.  Someone had mentioned you could put the registry in read only for Jabber Video so changes can't be made, but that would affect the entire program, something I'd rather not do as it could potentially cause an issue down the road.  I'm looking more of a way so the user can't enable either opition, for both Windows and MAC.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3809835

Thanks

10 Replies 10

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Patrick,

In my experience with Jabber for Telepresence, I have not seen any option to achieve what you want, using either Windows registry settings or even TMS provisioning settings.

I may be wrong, but I think your thread will result in a feature request.  =)

Regards

Paulo Souza

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Paul Woelfel
Level 4
Level 4

We did this at some installations. Jabber creates a Windows Autostart entry in the registry, which can be delted by a skript afterwards. I fo not know the exact registry key, but it is a default windows path.

Regards, Paul

Paul,

You can find the registery key over here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/endpoint/Jabber_Video/4_6/CJAB_BK_C89F6C9E_00_cisco-jabber-video-for-telepresence_chapter_011.html#CJAB_TK_P9A6A60C_00

But I think what Patrick wants is to completely disable the user to check "auto start" option, making the option grayed, so that users are unable to even check the parameter.

But of course, I agree with you, a workaround would be to delete the key everytime the computer starts or turns off using a script, so that users can mark the option "auto start" but without effect. But making the parameter grayed, I don't think this is possible.

Regards

Paulo Souza

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Thanks for the tip, at least I know it could be possible to do something for this option, even though it won't be disabled, unchecking it is a start.  However, I've checked the Jabber Video registry location and the only thing I have there is a FORCED entry, and there is nothing refering to auto start setting in any of the folders below Jabber Video?

Hi Patrick,

When the user enable "auto start", Jabber inserts a key inside the "RUN" folder into registry, this is a common folder used for all the programs which start automatically to this user. This is the location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

There is a REG_SZ key created by Jabber, the name is "Cisco JabberVideo". You can use scripts of Windows to delete this key everytime the computer starts and turns off. You can use some BAT scripts with scheduled tasks to delete that key.

Regards

Paulo Souza

Thanks, I'lll take a look this coming week.  That helps in regards to Windows, is there any possible solutions for MAC?  I'm not a MAC person, nor have any knowledge how its programs operate.

I don't have knowledge enough to suggest something regarding MAC, I am not a MAC user too.

The Jabber Administrator Guide mentions something about creating a custom Jabber setup for MAC, I don't know if it can help you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/endpoint/Jabber_Video/4_6/CJAB_BK_C89F6C9E_00_cisco-jabber-video-for-telepresence_chapter_011.html#CJAB_TK_CB861748_00

Regards

Paulo Souza

Customized installers for both Windows and MAC are based off of the preconfigurable parameters, and the two automatic settings for start and login aren't one of those parameters.  As were looking at the registry for Windows to set those two options, something similar or it's equivalent would need to be done for MAC I would presume.

Yes, you are right. I think there must be some common method to start a program automatically with MAC (like we have on Windows using registry keys), I am sure you can find something in Google related to disable a program to auto start on MAC OS, it seems to be a simple task for me, even though I don't understand much about MAC.

I am sure there is no Cisco documentation regarding this matter, but Google can help you.  =)

Paulo Souza

I've managed to configure the Windows installer using a .bat file that includes removing the registry entry for auto start on login, as well as adding the auto sign entry to be disabled.  MAC however is another story, can't seem to get either the auto start disabled, nor the auto login.  Anyone know the MAC's plist values for these two, or where to begin?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: