Views
Helpful
Replies

Downgrade TMS from 14.4 to 14.3

Chris Swinney
Level 5
Level 5

Hi all,

As outlined in my previous post, Cisco seem to have withdrawn support for TMS to upgrade the VCSs in 14.4, which considering we have a whole bunch of these, makes life very difficult and frustrating.

I recently upgraded TMS from 14.2 to 14.4 to alleviate another upgrade issue we were seeing in relation the TC CODECs, but this is even more of a problem.

I suspect that it would not be straight forward to downgrade from 14.4 to 14.3, but I wondered if there was a procedure for doing this?

Cheers

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

We run TMS app and tmsng.db on separate VMs, so we take a snapshot of each just prior to any upgrade and can revert quite quickly to the previous version if needed by restoring both from the snapshots.

Only hassle I've had so far on the odd occasion we had to do this, was when we had to do the restore a day or more after snapshot was taken, as the AD credentials for the TMS server would no longer be valid, so we have to first remove it from the domain, reboot, add it back again and reboot again.

Worked well otherwise though. :)

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Kjetil Ree
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Downgrading TMS is not possible. The only option is restoring an old 14.2 database backup and installing 14.2 against the restored database, but you'll then lose all bookings made in the meantime. You probably don't want to do that unless you are being hit by a bug that's blocking you.

Regards,
Kjetil

Thank Kjetil, not what I wanted to hear but what I expected. I had kept the snapshot on the VM for several days and though thought I had checked out most things but failed to spot the problem or no longer being able to update VCSs. however it shouldn't be to difficult to go back from other VM backups. We don't use TMS for booking and scheduling and so this "change" has quite a big impact to us - of course we will lose some call data but I think it might be worth it.

"You probably don't want to do that unless you are being hit by a bug that's blocking you".

Hmm, bug or feature.... bug or feature.... Well, what ever this change, it seems quite ludicrous and is going to cause people like ourselves a lot of heartache.

Chris

We run TMS app and tmsng.db on separate VMs, so we take a snapshot of each just prior to any upgrade and can revert quite quickly to the previous version if needed by restoring both from the snapshots.

Only hassle I've had so far on the odd occasion we had to do this, was when we had to do the restore a day or more after snapshot was taken, as the AD credentials for the TMS server would no longer be valid, so we have to first remove it from the domain, reboot, add it back again and reboot again.

Worked well otherwise though. :)

/jens

Hi Jens,

Yes, we too run TMSng.db on a separate SQL server and indeed I take snapshots of the VMs on both the TMS front end and and SQL backend prior to upgrade, yet this little "change" caught me out and so I had not tested for its functionality (or rather lack of). As such I deleted the snapshots after a few days. However, our Veeam backups cover us for a slightly more extended time and so I was able to revert to those.

I was prepared for an AD battle, but on reboot, both the TMS and SQL servers started with no issue, so all is good.

I will try TMS @ 14.3.x, but 14.4 for us is off the menu.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: