Views
Helpful
Replies

DX80... Using TMS as phone book source

jonmo2578
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I know there are nurmerous threads about this on the forums however I am unable to find the answer from all the discussions and documentations..

We have a DX80 registered on our CUCM 10.5.1..

As described in the guides, these CUCM registered TP devices use the UDS server to populate the phone book.. So presently, our DX80 is seeing all end users from a LDAP sync..

It's been mentioned that CUCM registered TP devices can now use TMS as a directory source but Im unable to find the setting within CUCM to tell to it to use TMS as the source.. ?..

Is it an enterprise parameter setting or can it be configured per device ?.. ie.. can our Cisco phone  use the UDS as phonebook source and our DX80s use TMS as an alternative source..

7 Replies 7

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need to add the devices to TMS / import from CUCM (Add systems > From List > CUCM), then have TMS provision the required phonebook(s) to the endpoints.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the reply..

Couple questions please..

1/ Ive gone into TMS > Add Systems > From List > CUCM , as you've suggested and I currently do not see anything listed/found under System Name ( see screen shot )..

Does that mean that I need to set up an association in VCS first ?.. ( VCS > Configuration > Unified Comms )..  or do I need to set up a user group and roles in CUCM to talk to TMS as described in the discussion https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11783026/adding-cucm-tms

2/ This kinda makes sense in that TMS should then push out the phonebook to a registered device.. From a CUCM registration perspective, how does the DX80 know to just use TMS as the source and not anything else provided from the CUCM cluster ?.

Regards

Jon.

Have a look at this thread: tms-phonebook-cucm-registered-tc-endpoints, and specifically the link to the TMS Admin Guide and, in that, the section about Adding Unified CM and registered endpoints (pages 71-73).

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Thanks for the reply Wayne..

I found the very same document the other day and had been using it for reference.. Unfortunately, DX80s dont fall under a TC based endpoints.. so it doesnt look like using TMS as a source for phonebook is possible ..

If you have managed it, please say !.

On a side note, whilst browsing through the Settings on the DX80 itself, I found a Cisco Directory Credentials option where it prompts me for my UDS details ( see attached screen shots )..

It does not seem to accept any of my account details to log in.. ( e.g CUCM admin, local user CUCM account or extension mobility account ). 

Any idea what it does as I cannot find any details online for the setting..

Regards

Jon.

Hi Jon,

No, I haven't done it myself - we don't have any DXs here (yet), but I would have thought it should have been possible similar to all the other endpoints - but I guess, as it's not running TC software, it's a different beast.  I've just had a good read through the Admin Guide for the DX80 and it doesn't seem to mention you can do this at all, not is there any mention of TMS in the guide.  So unless you can configure your CUCM to provide the DX80 a different phonebook to other devices, I can't see any easy/automatic way to give the unit a TMS phonebook.

Maybe you should log this as a Feature Request through your local Cisco Account Manager for consideration in a future software release.

Wayne

Wayne

Alright guys I have a work around to this  but its not pretty and frankly Cisco needs to solve this, how are they possibly thinking they can deploy a device like hte DX80 without tying it to the TMS phonebook.  Thats a travesty and the fees to move your VC registered endpoints onto CUCM is prohibitive to say the least.  That all said, Cisco get it together and solve this or the DX series will be dead to SO MANY people and companies.  

Now with that all said, the work around:

The goal is to get all TMS endpoints into CUCM as a user so that they will show in the directory.  Now you have two options.  1 if your MAIL ID is what you use for your URIs then all you need to do is import the CR users from AD (if CRs have AD accounts).  You will then have a directory as long as all your URIS are right.  Thats fine and relatively scale able.  For those of us that do not have this done like this you will need to Export all of your video devices from TMS into an excel sheet.  You will need to work the sheet a bit so that the columns can line up to DISPLAY NAME (name of endpoint) and MAIL ID (URI).  You can import this into CUCM to create the  CR users and they will then show in the directory.  This is not long term scale-able   and when you want to change a room you now have to edit a manual CUCM user.  This will only work if you run 8.5 or higher.

As someone coming from the TelePresence side and being used to

hierarchical  phonebooks and different views for different endpoints

I agree.

For me it does not necessary be TMS, but at least a way to support

some more dimensions of phonebooks within CUCM.

For now and TC style endpoints TMS it is, as said, the DX series are

not TC based, its a new Android based phone with video capabilities.

That said, as its android based and more or less a computer system on

its own, either your own dedicated phonebook app, dial from the web

browser (combined with a TMSPE delivered customer based web phonebook), dial from your google phonebook, direct support for TMS

phonebooks, ...

There are so many options/ideas.

I would recommend to make a feature request towards Cisco on what you need.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify