cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

E20 console cable not working

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I recently created a console cable to serially connect to an E20 per the document

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-24305, however it is not working, any advice?

The RJ45 pinout for the cable I'm using is:

rj45.gif

The serial adapter (per the document noted above):

IMG-20120705-00032.jpg

The connections I'm using is based on the RJ45 and document pinout:

GND - brown

RX - brown stripe

TX - orange

Vcc - orange stripe

All I get when trying to connect in TeraTerm is a blank window.  How long should it take for the connection or is there anything on the E20 that needs to be done?  I've unplugged the handset RJ45 jack and have plugged in the console cable in it's place.

e20-teraterm.png

Thanks, Patrick

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Teck Chye Tang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Did you try rebooting the E20?  You probably can try as follows :

GND - orange strip

RX - orange

TX - brown strip

Vcc - brown

No special settings on E20.

View solution in original post

Could you, once the unit boots up hit the key 'b' followed by 'c' ?

This should stop the boot and you should enter the u-boot. I think you will see prompt like ORION>

At least that would tell us whether the TX on your cable works. RX seems to function since you get output.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Teck Chye Tang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Did you try rebooting the E20?  You probably can try as follows :

GND - orange strip

RX - orange

TX - brown strip

Vcc - brown

No special settings on E20.

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What Baud Rate have you tried with?

Please note Baud Rate for E20 is 115200 bps (different from EX-series Endpoint which is 38400 bps).

Rebooting the E20 worked.

I was able to see the console output during the reboot, however when I start typing when it gets to the login: prompt, nothing appears, and I'm not given any message back when I hit Enter?

Message was edited by: Patrick Sparkman

Hello,

for C-Series there is a command to set the serial port. Is this the case for E20 too? Can you check :

[C40:~] $ tsh

Welcome to C40

TANDBERG Codec Release TC5.1.0.280662

SW Release Date: 2012-02-14

OK

xconfiguration //serial

*c xConfiguration SerialPort Mode: On

*c xConfiguration SerialPort BaudRate: 38400

*c xConfiguration SerialPort LoginRequired: Off

** end

OK

E20 doesn't have any serial configuration, from what I'm told, it should just work.  I'm given the feedback all throughout the boot process, but when I input anything using the keyboard, nothing appears at the login prompt.  Or gives me any feedback when I hit Enter.

Could you, once the unit boots up hit the key 'b' followed by 'c' ?

This should stop the boot and you should enter the u-boot. I think you will see prompt like ORION>

At least that would tell us whether the TX on your cable works. RX seems to function since you get output.

It's the TX, I guess I didn't get a good connection with the solder?  I verified the serial converter works by holding another piece of network cable to the connections on the board and I got full RX/TX with the E20.  I'll re-solder the cable tonight and try it again.. at least we bought more than one converter just in case.

Never really soldered anything before, I guess I choose a bad thing to start with. 

Hello all.  Where do I plug in the serial cable on the E20?  I didn't/don't see a serial port like there is on the EX90.

Serial cable (RJ45 plug) should connect to handset interface on E20 (unplug handset cable and connect console cable to it for serial interface access).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: