cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EX60/EX90 vs larger DX series

Douglas Baggett
Level 1
Level 1

Does anybody have thoughts on these. Is it worth it now to buy an EX60 over the larger DX series desktop units? AS I understand the DX are android based where the EX are TC based. 

thanks ahead of time for any suggestions. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

One of the biggest factors to consider is, what will you use for call control, CUCM or VCS?

• EX can use either CUCM or VCS.
  • DX can use CUCM only.

I don't suspect EX endpoints going anywhere for some time, if they did, then the VCS based environments would be left with no desk endpoint, since the DX are CUCM only.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

One of the biggest factors to consider is, what will you use for call control, CUCM or VCS?

• EX can use either CUCM or VCS.
  • DX can use CUCM only.

I don't suspect EX endpoints going anywhere for some time, if they did, then the VCS based environments would be left with no desk endpoint, since the DX are CUCM only.

Ahh..very important point. (CUCM vs VCS). 

We only have VCS right now (CUCM in the future) so for now DX is out of the question. 

thanks!

Agreed.

We don't have CUCM either, we're a video only shop hence VCS only, and I don't expect we'd be deploying CUCM for some very long time if ever.

DX does not necessarily have to register to CUCM. We have about four in my enviornment and they are all registered to VCS. The OS on DX can be upgraded/change at will if needs be. Currently We am exploring getting another DX and wondering if there is a better Endpoint product from cisco to consider

@ayokunmi_o wrote:

DX does not necessarily have to register to CUCM. We have about four in my enviornment and they are all registered to VCS. 

The post you are replying to was from back in 2014 when the DX80 was first released, and, running the old Android software load (before CE existed) could only register to a CUCM.

Of course, lots has changed in 4 years, and now with CE, this is possible.

@ayokunmi_o wrote:

We am exploring getting another DX and wondering if there is a better Endpoint product from cisco to consider

At this point in time, there are not any other devices available that do a similar job to the DX80, so that is still the device to go with if you want something with that form factor.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.