Views
Helpful
Replies

EX90 using TMS Phonebook troubles

martin1.plank
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I'm using an EX90(TC5.1.4.295090) registered at VCS -Cluster (X7.1)and using ServerPhonebook from TMS-Server (13.2).

I have several C20(TC5.1.3.292001) registert also on VCS-Cluster.

For all endpoints I made entries on TMS Server-Phonebook.

Using EX90 some of the C20 can be dialed, they are shown with H323, some C20 can't be dialed, they are shonw with SIP-Numbers on the EX90.

Why is there a diffrent behaivor between these systems? All of them are configured the same way!

Can anyone help me here?

kind regards

Martin

6 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

Is the manual list the only phonebook set on the EX90?

Are the c20's in the same ip zone in tms?

If you can see the ip entry in the phonebook and when you dial it you cannot.. Try to set the call setup mode to direct just to see if that works then change it back. If it works with direct call setup i would take a look at the event log on the vcs and see what is going on.

You have for a fact setup all your entries in the phonebook as H323 but yet they show up as SIP definition on the ex90. How does this look on the c20's when doing the same search?

I'm trying to imagine how you set this up but what you see compared to how you say you have configured it makes no sense

I wish i could see it at this point. Any screenshots you would like to share? Else i think a quick tac case should do the trick...

/Magnus

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

Hallo Martin!

Do you use the cisco touch only on the ex90 or also on the other endpoints?

What happens if you also add the sip address for this endpoint in the pb?

I would not only check on the vcs if it shows the endpoint as registered, also check on the

endpoint if its registered. Whats the default call protocol used on the endpoints?

If its sip, does the behavior change if you set it to h323?

Is there a special reason to use the form of h323 ids as you use it?

I would use the same then the sip registration.

Do you have a cucm/phone integration or why do you only use e164 numbers in the list?

If you do not need it for a phone integration I would use alphanumeric addresses like chronist.guenther@grz.at

You might also have an issue with your searchrules, transforms, findme.

Possibly adding a transform adding a domain to everything that comes in without

and then a search rule hitting with and an other one stripping the domain might also help.

Its all dependent on what you would expect or not expect to work and then the setup.

As we dont know much about both its not easy to say.

I would recomend that you talk to a Cisco Partner who can help you to review your network

and find the best solution for you!

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

I saw this issue once before but the scenario was that the VCS had hit the 13.1 bug where the management and feedback address changed it protocol to HTTPS and if HTTPS wa not enabled on the TMS this communication would fail.

In this scenario the TMS server did not think that the EX90 could reach those H323 addresses and replaced them with an IP address (only some of the systems) which the EX90 could not dial. It seems like the same issue here but changing the route phonebook entries to no resolved this issue. Worth giving it a try.

/Magnus

Hi

This is the details listed under the online help in TMS regarding the function. However it does not state exactly what factors TMS is looking at and I believe its several things including where its registered and if TMS thinks the unit can reach it using that address.

This setting applies to the phone books specified in Cisco System Phone Books (below).

1. Yes (default): Cisco TMS  will check routing for the system requesting phone book and filter the  non-routable entries out of the phone book presented to the system.
  2. No: Cisco TMS will not check routing and deliver the phone book.

Why your TMS thinks it cannot route to that address might be rooted in the fact that all the C20's that you only saw IP for is registered on a different VCS than the Ex90. TMS checks these things and manipulates the phonebook asccordingly if the routed phonebook is set to Yes. The VCS plays a big part when TMS checks if the systems can actually dial eachother. Is both the VCS's in TMS? Does the VCS's have a neighbor relationship?

/Magnus

Hi Martin,

You can refer this BUG# CSCtw52223. This is already fixed in TMS version 13.2.1

Regards

Sumeet Rakesh

The fix is included in 13.2.1 specifically so you have to upgrade.

The reason why this is happening is that TMS is sending IP as a protocol. This has now been changed to H323 which is accepted by the touch panel.

/Magnus

15 Replies 15

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

Is all of the C20's registered on H323? Did you create this phonebook as a manual list? If you did that make sure all the entries have the contact method defined as sip. If you create one of each SIP and H323 the endpoint should use its default call protocol.

/Magnus

Hi Magnus,

All the C20's registered on H323 and SIP. The Phonebook is created as a manual list.

All of the entries are made with contact method h323. With SIP I didn't create any entries.

The default Protokoll is H323 configured at EX90.

I also made entries for non-cisco station on base of ip-addresses. All of these entries can't be dialed byEX90.

Can you tell me the right method to create the entries to reach non-cisco-endpoints via IP-addresses?

kind regards

Martin

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

Is the manual list the only phonebook set on the EX90?

Are the c20's in the same ip zone in tms?

If you can see the ip entry in the phonebook and when you dial it you cannot.. Try to set the call setup mode to direct just to see if that works then change it back. If it works with direct call setup i would take a look at the event log on the vcs and see what is going on.

You have for a fact setup all your entries in the phonebook as H323 but yet they show up as SIP definition on the ex90. How does this look on the c20's when doing the same search?

I'm trying to imagine how you set this up but what you see compared to how you say you have configured it makes no sense

I wish i could see it at this point. Any screenshots you would like to share? Else i think a quick tac case should do the trick...

/Magnus

Hi Magnus,

I think I'm facing two problems.

1.) We're running VCS-Cluster. Two of the three C20 area registered at node A, one and the ex90 are registered at node B.

On EX90 for the C20 registered at the same note I can see a "normal" entry (H323), for the other C20 I can see only IP Address entry.

All within the same IP-Zone.

On the C20 everything works fine.

All of them use same Phonebook.

2.) Also having problems with dialin non-cisco-Endpoints.

At C20 it works, on EX90 I can't dial them.

All Systems have both configurations SIP and H323 and so they are registerd at the VCS-Cluster.

How can i solve these problems?

kind regards

Martin

Hi

What happens if you go to admin tools --> general settings --> set Route Phonebook to No

/Magnus

Hallo Martin!

Do you use the cisco touch only on the ex90 or also on the other endpoints?

What happens if you also add the sip address for this endpoint in the pb?

I would not only check on the vcs if it shows the endpoint as registered, also check on the

endpoint if its registered. Whats the default call protocol used on the endpoints?

If its sip, does the behavior change if you set it to h323?

Is there a special reason to use the form of h323 ids as you use it?

Do you have a cucm/phone integration or why do you only use e164 numbers in the list?

If you do not need it for a phone integration I would use alphanumeric addresses like chronist.guenther@grz.at

You might also have an issue with your searchrules, transforms, findme.

and then a search rule hitting with and an other one stripping the domain might also help.

Its all dependent on what you would expect or not expect to work and then the setup.

I would recomend that you talk to a Cisco Partner who can help you to review your network

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

I saw this issue once before but the scenario was that the VCS had hit the 13.1 bug where the management and feedback address changed it protocol to HTTPS and if HTTPS wa not enabled on the TMS this communication would fail.

In this scenario the TMS server did not think that the EX90 could reach those H323 addresses and replaced them with an IP address (only some of the systems) which the EX90 could not dial. It seems like the same issue here but changing the route phonebook entries to no resolved this issue. Worth giving it a try.

/Magnus

Hallo Martin,

First to answer your questions:

Q: Do you use the cisco touch only on the ex90 or also on the other endpoints?

A: No the cisco touch is only on EX90

Q: What happens if you also add the sip address for this endpoint in the pb?

A: So I can dial all endpoint registered at the vcs-Cluster. So this solved the first problem.

Q: I would not only check on the vcs if it shows the endpoint as registered, also check on the

A: all endpoints are registered too. The default protokol is H323, expect at the EX90. There yesterday I can't it to SIP

Q: If its sip, does the behavior change if you set it to h323?

A: No the behavior doesn't change.

Q: Is there a special reason to use the form of h323 ids as you use it?

A: No, this is an old deployment. I will change them this day!

Q: Do you have a cucm/phone integration or why do you only use e164 numbers in the list?

A: Yes we have a CUCM/Phone integration.

Q: You might also have an issue with your searchrules, transforms, findme.

A: We setup these rules. The problem only occures with the EX90. All other endpoints (about 35) work perfect.

Q: Its all dependent on what you would expect or not expect to work and then the setup.

A: Your absolutly right.

Q: I would recomend that you talk to a Cisco Partner who can help you to review your network

A: I'll do so, but the community is a very good place to find solutions and get some input to be able to solve problems yourself.

regards

Martin

Hi Magnus,

I set admin tools --> general settings --> set Route Phonebook to No and I can dial phonebookentries.

So my question is what's the detailed function of this parameter?

regards Martin

Hi

This is the details listed under the online help in TMS regarding the function. However it does not state exactly what factors TMS is looking at and I believe its several things including where its registered and if TMS thinks the unit can reach it using that address.

This setting applies to the phone books specified in Cisco System Phone Books (below).

1. Yes (default): Cisco TMS  will check routing for the system requesting phone book and filter the  non-routable entries out of the phone book presented to the system.
  2. No: Cisco TMS will not check routing and deliver the phone book.

Why your TMS thinks it cannot route to that address might be rooted in the fact that all the C20's that you only saw IP for is registered on a different VCS than the Ex90. TMS checks these things and manipulates the phonebook asccordingly if the routed phonebook is set to Yes. The VCS plays a big part when TMS checks if the systems can actually dial eachother. Is both the VCS's in TMS? Does the VCS's have a neighbor relationship?

/Magnus

If needed to troubleshoot this further I would first look at the differences between the systems that can see the phonebook and the systems that only see the IP addresses. It might be a bug specific to the EX90, but I recommend you open a TAC case to investigate on this further.

/Magnus

Hi Martin,

You can refer this BUG# CSCtw52223. This is already fixed in TMS version 13.2.1

Regards

Sumeet Rakesh

Thanks Sumeet for the heads up on that one!

But note that this bug is not related to the phonebook routing as we talked about but rather to the fact that the EX90 fails to dial IP addresses.

Is this what you want martin, for the phonebook to show IP addresses and to be able to dial them or to display the E164 addresses and be able to dial them?

/Magnus

Hi,

TMS is Version 13.2. by now, do I have to upgrade to 13.2.1?

/Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: