cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EXCESSIVE VIDEO PACKET DROPS

Chet Cronin
Level 4
Level 4

Any ideas where to look for excessive video packet drops during a call and it's a one way issue.

System is registered to VCS Control with neighbor relationships.  Dial patterns are good working fine.

When I call a bridge and it appears to route properly from a search history varification. 

Problem is the receiving site bridge receives my call with no packet loss. They have good audio/video.

My receive is very bad. Good Audio and terrible video. There are firewalls in the route.

I can't run a traceroute due to ICMP being disabled thru the path.

Are there typical settings to check i.e. firewall, router, switch etc.

I am working with network folks to run an analysis.

Thank you.

Chet

Chet Cronin
1 Reply 1

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Check with your Network boffins that there is no H.323 Packet Inspection happening along the chain in either direction.  This can lead to errors if it is occuring. 

Then you can get them to look at the links between your two sites to check for any congestion, and to then configure appropriate QoS settings to give your video traffic some priority if that's the problem.

Could also be a speed/duplex mismatch somewhere along the line between switches - I've seen this one a few times before.

Your network folks should be able to interrogate the devices along the chain to see where the problem may be.

Please remember to rate any responses and mark your question as "answered" if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: