Views
Helpful
Replies

Flapping Status on CTS components

Jannik Hochfeld
Level 4
Level 4

Hi guys,

we have errors on some of our CTS endpoints that are not critical but sort of unattractive and we get SNMP traps for this errors which are unnecessary.

We often have a sort of flapping in the status of a CTS display or camera and also of other CTS components. The status changes in a second from good to bad and back again.

Is there a fix for this sort of issue?

Example:

2014-03-13 06:55:23: ERROR Center Camera status is Not Ready( Communication Issue).
2014-03-13 06:55:25: ERROR Left Codec Camera status is Not Ready( Communication Issue).
2014-03-13 06:55:26: ERROR Right Codec Camera status is Not Ready( Communication Issue).
2014-03-13 06:55:29: INFO Right Codec status is Ready.
2014-03-13 06:55:30: INFO Center Camera status is Ready.
2014-03-13 06:55:31: INFO Left Codec Camera status is Ready.
2014-03-13 06:55:52: INFO Center Camera status is Ready.
2014-03-13 06:56:05: INFO Right Codec Camera status is Ready.
2 Replies 2

Lawrence James
Level 1
Level 1

Check and then recheck all cables if they are seated fully, routed correctly and servicable. I had an issue at a customer site where one camera cable wasn't seated fully and another cable that was crimped/pinched - the camera(s) worked but had flapping status just as you describe. Reseated the one cable, replaced the crimped cable and rerouted the third to avoid power cables and the area where the other cable was crimped. After that all was good.  

Hi James, sorry to answer so late, but we had some other things to do.

I wonder if this really depends on those issues you described because we have this messages on many enpoints and that would mean that we have problems with our cabling on each of this devices.

Unfortunately I have no chance to check the cabling because the sites are placed all around germany and nobody would pay a technician to check a cable if the device works correctly.

Is there a chance to change the behaviour of this snmp trap, maybe only to send a trap if the error occurs for longer than 10 seconds or so? Because it is usefull but with this flapping messages the effort to check if the error is still there or if it was just a flapping of the status is very high.