cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to backup C40 - No Backup and Restore in Maintenance menu

kasper123
Level 4
Level 4

Can someone tell me how can I backup C40 running software version TC4.2.1.265253?

I found a document stating that this can be done through the "Backup and Restore" option in Maintenance menu but there is no "Backup and Restore" option when I go in the Maintenance menu.

Thank you in advance.

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jens Didriksen
Level 9
Level 9

You need to upgrade your system to get the "Backup and Restore" option - I can't remember in which version it was introduced though, but considering the current version is TC7.1.4.... wink

You can easily backup the configuration if you have TMS, but if you don't, then you could download the xconfig file from the codec using Putty.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jens Didriksen
Level 9
Level 9

You need to upgrade your system to get the "Backup and Restore" option - I can't remember in which version it was introduced though, but considering the current version is TC7.1.4.... wink

You can easily backup the configuration if you have TMS, but if you don't, then you could download the xconfig file from the codec using Putty.

/jens

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As Jens has mentioned, if you only have the C40 and no management (TMS), the easiest way to backup the configuration is to capture a copy of the "xconfiguration" output via SSH.

It's strongly suggested that you upgrade the software on the C40 to a more recent version to address many security vulnerabilities (SIP Denial of Service, OpenSSL, etc).

If you have an active service contract on your device you can download the software from the Cisco Web Site.

If you don't have an active service contract, you should be able to get an upgrade through the TAC as per the "Customers Without Service Contracts" section in this Security Advisory.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

kasper123
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Jens and Wayne,

Does the license cover upgrade of major versions? 4.2.1 to version 6 or 7?

Regards.

With the older versions of the software (pre TC6.1) the "release keys" were required for every Major version (ie, TC4.x, TC5.x, TC6.x, TC7.x) - but not for a Minor version (ie TC4.1 to TC4.2).

This changed as of TC6.1 where a release key is no longer required for an upgrade, there just must be at least one valid release key (from any version) installed on to the device, but a valid service contract is required to enable you to download the new versions of the software.  This is discussed in this document: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/135106/new-software-download-procedure-telepresence-endpoints-running-tc-software.

But, due to the recent security advisory I linked previously, you are able to request a "free" upgrade to the latest TC7.1.4 version without having an active service contract - this does not guarantee any future upgrades though - you will need to have an active service contract to ensure access to future software updates.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

kasper123
Level 4
Level 4

Is this the correct file for the upgrade: s52000tc7_1_4.pkg

Can I go straight to this version from the current TC4.2.1.265253?

Is the upgrade done through the Web UI? Is there something that has to be done prior to installation?

Regards.

Yes, that is the right file for the C40.

There are a number of ways you can upgrade the system, via SCP, with TMS, or via the Web Interface.

The Web Interface option is probably the easiest for someone who isn't sure.

You can go straight from TC4.x to TC7.x, and there is nothing that you need to do before doing so, although it is always worth doing a backup of your configuration or taking a note of the important settings.

Wayne