cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to dial direct to an IP address (a.k. point-to-point?) from Codec C40

juddernaut
Level 1
Level 1

We are looking to replace trusty old Polycomm and Tandberg units with a Telepresence C40.  On the old Polycomm and Tandberg units we can simply enter the endpoint IP and connect.

This C40 unit was attached to a CUCM and worked through their Gatekeeper.  We did a factory reset on the unit so we can relocate it to our "Naked" IP network where it has a reachable IP address.  However we can't get it to make any calls - it simply says "Connecting"  and sits there doing nothing.

The Troubleshooting->Diagnostics webpage says "The default call protocol is set to Auto, but system is not registered on that protocol".

I assume the C40 can direct-dial an IP like our earlier Polycomm and Tandberg units?

What settings should I use as DefaultCall Configuration?  At the moment it is "auto".

In H323 Configuration I have;

Nat
Mode set to Off

Profile 1
CallSetup Mode set to Direct
PortAllocation set to Dynamic

Authentication
LoginName
is blank
Mode set to Off
Password is blank

On System Configuration page in SystemUnit I have ContactInfo Type set to Auto.

I have no idea what I should put in E323Alias.  I assume it can be left empty?

Help to configure for direct IP point-to-point dialing really appreciated.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Chris Swinney
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

These forums seem a bit messed up at the moment and you have double posted https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12137686/how-dial-direct-ip-address-ak-point-point-codec-c40 (did this myself, as they are taking an age to response). I would delete the other post.

Set the Call configuration to force H.323.

The E.164 alias is a number system like an extension, but unless you have a gatekeeper with dial plan it wont be needed and can be left blank. However, its worth putting something in the System Name box so the other side can see whose calling.

You should be able to dial via IP direct - I suspect its trying to dial via SIP and failing. Forcing it to use H.323 should do the trick.

Chris

View solution in original post

In addition to the information Chris has provided above, you may need to set the NAT configuration on your device (if you're trying to dial externally).

There's some information on how to set up a device as a standalone device in this thread: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11606926/sx20-standalone.  It talks about the SX20 rather than your C40, but the software they run is pretty much identical and the same configuration options work.

Edit: Don't forget to have the appropriate ports opened on your firewall too:

For H.323:

• Gatekeeper Discovery (RAS) – Port 1719 – UDP
  • Q.931 call Setup – Port 1720 – TCP
  • H.245 – Port Range 5555-5574 – TCP
  • Video – Port Range 2326-2485 – UDP
  • Audio – Port Range 2326-2485 – UDP
  • Data/FECC – Port Range – 2326-2485 – UDP

For SIP (if required):

• SIP messages – Port 5060 – UDP/TCP
  • SIP messages – Port 5061 – TLS(TCP)

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Chris Swinney
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

These forums seem a bit messed up at the moment and you have double posted https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12137686/how-dial-direct-ip-address-ak-point-point-codec-c40 (did this myself, as they are taking an age to response). I would delete the other post.

Set the Call configuration to force H.323.

The E.164 alias is a number system like an extension, but unless you have a gatekeeper with dial plan it wont be needed and can be left blank. However, its worth putting something in the System Name box so the other side can see whose calling.

You should be able to dial via IP direct - I suspect its trying to dial via SIP and failing. Forcing it to use H.323 should do the trick.

Chris

In addition to the information Chris has provided above, you may need to set the NAT configuration on your device (if you're trying to dial externally).

There's some information on how to set up a device as a standalone device in this thread: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11606926/sx20-standalone.  It talks about the SX20 rather than your C40, but the software they run is pretty much identical and the same configuration options work.

Edit: Don't forget to have the appropriate ports opened on your firewall too:

For H.323:

• Gatekeeper Discovery (RAS) – Port 1719 – UDP
  • Q.931 call Setup – Port 1720 – TCP
  • Data/FECC – Port Range – 2326-2485 – UDP

For SIP (if required):

• SIP messages – Port 5060 – UDP/TCP
  • SIP messages – Port 5061 – TLS(TCP)

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Thanks for the responses.  I will work on this today and see how I go.

Chris - I have no idea how that other post got there.  I have deleted it.

On a related note - do you know of a good IP test site we could use?

Thanks for the help guys. It turned out I had the right settings the whole time but the IP address I was using to test was down. I found another working test site and problem solved

Glad to hear that your device is working fine now.

For future reference, there's and old post in the forums (https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11499281/ip-adress-test) which has a number of addresses you can test to.  Some of these no longer work, but it's a good starting point.

Wayne
--

Wayne