Views
Helpful
Replies

How to upgrade C60 using Serial Port ?

Omar Abdelhalim
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

Please, advice me how to upgrade using serial port of the C60 Unit.

thanks

9 Replies 9

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Though in theory and emergency use it might be possible to do a slight hack and

get a file over via the serial port, I would not recomend it and it would take some time to transfer the 200mb file.

In general all proper ways would need to use a IP connection. What limits you to do so?

I would recomend one of the following, ordered by how easy it is:

* use the TMS

* use the webinterface of the endpoint

* use scp to copy the file over to the endpoint

And do not forget a upgrade to a new major version (like from TC4.x to TC5.x) requires a valid release key to run the software!

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Thanks Martin,

the ethernet port not working, and i want to upgrade to know, if this error software,or hardware.

so how to do this by serial port.

Thanks

Do not forget the C60 has two ethernet ports, please use the correct one :-)

I would start debugging a bit more and connect the endpoint directly to your computer.

The c60 and most modern network adapters have auto cross-over detection so you can use a standard network cable.

Then check on the c60 that the auto negotiaton is on, voice vlan is off, IEEE8021X is off, that you use the ipv4 stack and that you have a static ip setting for the endpoint and computer in the same network (like 192.168.5.11 and 192.168.5.12)

If this is done

* do you see a ethernet link?

* can you ping the endpoint from the computer and vice versa

* a tcpdump / wireshark on the endpoint / computer might also tell you more

If not I and the system has a valid service contract I would open a TAC case.

Martin

Dear Martin,

i did what you told to me, and there's no indication that this port is up and my network card still indicates not connected "no device connected".

i used ethernet 1, and i attached xstatus file....

if no way.. please open tac, if you can.

Thanks

Dear Omar!

Did you also exchange the cable / switch / ... sometimes its as simple as that?

Btw, if you had upgraded the c60 once the old software is still running on it, you can

interrupt the boot process and then start the old software, maybe its worth giving a try as well.

( this thread might give you some input on how to do that: https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2129545 )

I am not able open a case for you.

You should be able to create a service request from this conversation.

If you need instructions look at:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13613

If this is not suitable for you ask your Cisco partner to help you with creating a TAC case.

Good luck!

Martin

Omar: Please rate the answers using the stars below the messges, thx!

In the xstatus file you attached one can see :

*s Network 1 Ethernet MacAddress: "00:50:60:82:4A:5C"

*s Network 1 Ethernet Speed: "No LAN"

*s Network 1 IPv4 Address: "192.168.10.163"

*s Network 1 IPv4 SubnetMask: "255.255.255.0"

*s Network 1 IPv4 Gateway: "192.168.10.1"

Perhaps it is something as simple as the ethernet settings on the codec?

*? xConfiguration Network [1..1] Speed:

Can you try with other settings as opposed to auto ? Maybe the auto negotiation fails for some reason and the port has issue on L2 already. Where does the C60 plug into? A switch? Can you verify the settings of that switch? Does another device work properly on the same port? e.g. your PC?

And btw, I noticed once that if a static ip setting is done and it lacks a default gw. the ip address is not properly taken,

so you might want to check on that as well.

mubakhta
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Omar,

You can login in to the root account using the serial cable. However, you need to make sure that the root account is enabled. Once you login to the root, you will need to copy and rename the upgrade file and make sure its is renamed to 'pkg' without any extension. If you are able to copy the file to root/upgrade then the codec would start the upgrade process and can be upgraded. The document below describes upgrading using WinSCP using the same root account however, it requires IP connectivity.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-24297

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

> the ethernet port not working, and i want to upgrade to know, if this error software,or hardware

If Ethernet port is not working, then upgrade by using WinSCP method as that will still require IP communication between VCS and PC that running WinSCP.

If this is what recently happen (i.e start experiencing right after software upgrade), you might able to recover the Codec by revert back software image.

C-series Endpoint has two software slot and activating one of it but still have image on other software slot.

Here is procedure of revert back previous software version on C/EX-series Endpoint

===========================================================================

Method 1:

• Login as root, i.e., ssh root@or use ssh terminal software (same method available when connecting Endpoint from console).

• Execute the command: selectsw

• The Codec will now list the two images and tell you which one is active

• Check feedback and select image: selectsw image1

(if feedback is “image2 [ACTIVE] [SELECTED]”) or selectsw image2(if feedback is “image2 [ACTIVE] [SELECTED]”)

• Reboot the system, reboot

• Codec will automatically restart with previous sw version of Codec had

Method 2: (Alternative method for revert back software by changing the boot configuration)

• Connect a serial cable to the system at 38400, 8, N, 1

• Reboot the system, and hold b until Press 'b' to enter u-boot message appears

• Press c to stop auto boot, then SATURN> prompt will return.

• Execute the command: selectsw

• The Codec will now list the two images and tell you which one is active

• Check feedback and select image: selectsw image1

(if feedback is “image2 [ACTIVE] [SELECTED]”) orselectsw image2 (if feedback is “image2 [ACTIVE] [SELECTED]”)

• Reboot the system, boot

• Codec will automatically restart with previous sw version of Codec had

===========================================================================

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: