cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HWIC-4ESW good enough for TP?

aeriksson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, although I know that TP normally requires GB ports, would a HWIC-4ESW card in an MPLS CE router (chassi 29xx) be sufficient?

The WAN bw dedicated for TP is 18 MBps, so from that perspective the 100 Mbps that the   HWIC-4ESW could leverage, would be OK.

7 Replies 7

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

I think the guidance to use GB was due to the size of the port buffers etc so they're better able to cope with bursts of traffic from the TPS unit at the start of media streams or when there is a lot of burst data due to movement etc.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

gubadman
Level 3
Level 3

What would you be looking to connect to these port? I could see something like EX90 endpoints being ok as they'll do 6mbps video streams, but I'd recommend against connecting something like a VCS this way as it could be doing 100 traversal calls which could max out the link.

Thanks,

Guy

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As Guy mention, if you are referring to several Endpoint deployments up to 18Mbps external network traffic, HWIC-4ESW network interface card should works fine.

However please make sure to select router that support certain size of buffer size/packet per second.

TelePresence Endpoint may transmit quite a lot of packet in first half of a second, therefore although looking for second flat base traffic volume stay within call bandwidth (if traffic control is enable), router may receive bit more traffic within half seconds (especially when Endpoint sending key video frame).

Tomonori,

can you make any recommendations as to router models that support the required size of buffer size/packets per second ?

Related to that: is it correct to say that virtually any - recent - Cisco switch model is supported for CTS connectivity ?  What would be the minimum Cisco switch model  to support connectivity for a Cisco TP endpoint ? 

thanks,

Bart

Unfortunately we don’t have any clear guidance of this.

As Aaron mention earlier on this post, switch/router with GB interface/capability has reasonable buffer size, but depend on deployment and network quality, requirement may change.

Having said that, if total bandwidth consume by TelePresence equipment in your network is 18Mbps, 2900 series router/ASA5510 firewall should works.

I have seen many success deployment with 2960/3500 series Catalysis for switch model in your deployment size.

Ok, thanks !

Bart

The 3750 or 3560 is typically the switch that is recommended for access layer switched for TP.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: