% in SIP Uri

kseewald
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Expert,

We have Sametime-Media Server. There the Clients have the format:

martin.plank%40logis.at@stmed1.rbgooe.at

<mailto:martin.plank%40logis.at@stmed1.rbgooe.at>

Wenn we wanna route a call the VCS changes the % to %25  and makes the following

martin.plank%2540logis.at@stmed1.rbgooe.at <mailto:martin.plank%2540logis.at@stmed1.rbgooe.at>

I could find  the document :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/Cisco_VCS_FindMe_Express_Deployment_Guide_X7-1.pdf

Site 12/13: If other characters are needed, they must be escaped using "%" HexDigit HexDigit, where HexDigit

HexDigit is the ASCII value for the required character.

For example, firstname%20lastname@example.com, where %20 represents the space character.)

Do you have any solution for me why this is not working?

many thanks

Klaus

7 Replies 7

kseewald
Level 1
Level 1

Additional Info:

%40 should be the @  - is it possible to have  a SIP Uri like this?

martin.plank@logis.at@stmed1.rbgooe.at

????

This sounds strange to me, customer asked for that.

Hi Klaus,

Link which you attached, have details for valid URI and @ (%40) can't be usd in SIP URI.

Additional information

The following character set is allowed in SIP URIs (further details may be found in RFC 3261):

n

• a-z and A-Z
  • 0-9
  • - and _
  • . and '
  • ! and ?
  • ( and )
  • ~
  • &
  • =
  • +
  • $
  • ;
  • /

If other characters are needed, they must be escaped using "%" HexDigit HexDigit, where HexDigit HexDigit is the ASCII value for the required character.

For example, firstname%20lastname@example.com, where %20 represents the space character.

Regards,

Vivek

But it is possible to add other characters with using % HexDigit.

so it should be possible to have  max%20Mustermann%40test.com  - - - should result to

max Mustermann@test.com

isn´t it?

Hi Klaus,

SIP RFC defines the character set used under the SIP URI. It classifies the charcter set in diff categories like reserved, unreserved and some are define but can't be used in uri as they are meant for specific purpose.

characters set which is not allowed in a SIP uri is normally represented using a escaped sequence which look like "%" followed by "Hex" "Hex".

So basically the control character are not allowed in a SIP URI, both because they are non-printable and because they are likely to be misinterpreted by some control mechanism.

The percent character "%" is excluded because it is used for encoding the escaped characters.

so to answer to your question in short, you can't use the "%" sign in a SIP URI.

I hope it clarifies the doubt.

Thanks

Alok

We are not actually trying to put a "%" into the SIP URI. Much rather we want to signal a "@" inside of the SIP URI.

VCS is currently not allowing to use a "@" in the user portion of the URI.  RFC 3261 even gives an example for such a situation:

For example, "@" is not in the set of characters in the user

component, so the user "j@s0n" must have at least the @ sign encoded,

as in "j%40s0n".

We are trying to pass such a URI (which is valid) but the VCS is neither allowing the escaped or unescaped formatting.

Hi Klaus,

I tested at my site with following scenario:

1. VCS X7.1 ( 172.16.10.251 )

2. Two SIP endpoint

SIP URI 1: 6001@vaxs.com

SIP URI 2: 6002@172.16.10.251

I am dialling from SIP URI 1 to 6002@@vaxs.com, which is transformed by VCS to 6002@172.16.10.251

This is search history from VCS

SIP (INVITE)
6001@vaxs.comsip:6002%40@vaxs.comBusy Here

Here is the transformation information configured on VCS

(6\d{3})%40@vaxs.comRegexReplace\1@172.16.10.251:5060

After all this configuration everything work fine.

I would request if you can provide what you are using, so that we can check what's exactly happening.

Regards,

Vivek

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hallo Klaus!

Which client do you use to do the test call.

I did not check on what is send out of the vcs, but at least what I receive on the vcs is ok if I try

do dial "user%40test.com@domain.com" with a e20 I get (which looks ok):

sip:user%40test.com@domain.com

If I dial with Movi/Jabber Video 4.2/4.4 on VCS X7.1 I get:

sip:user%2540test.com@domain.com 

which seem to reflect on what you used.

If you also used movi I would say, file this thread as a Jabber Video bug to TAC and try with a different client.

Also important on discussing such stuff is more detail, starting with

the software versions used and best would be a trace/debug output and a network drawing.

Besides that, why do you want to use a "nested @". Is this something used by sametime or some "workaround"

you use? I would see that I have proplery routable users/domains instead of this hack.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: