Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for Telepresence 4.8 for Windows breaks passwords on upgrades

Chris Swinney
Level 5
Level 5

Hi All,

We have just rolled out a test deployment of Jabber for Telepresence 4.8 that was recently released, however, every user has encountered an issue.

Whilst the upgrade completes without a problem, during the login process, the user is denied access with an error saying that their password authentication has failed or that the SIP domain is incorrect. The password field on the Jabber client shows as filled in, yet the user cannot log in. If the user re-enters their original password required for Jabber (in our case this is manually set on TMS as we do not use LDAP or AD integration), Jabber logs in with no issues. In order for us to do this, we essentially need to resend the users login detail to them.

There is NO MENTION in the release notes that this might happen for the Windows installation. There IS a mention under the Mac installation that passwords are not remembered (page 6), but not in the Windows section.

Just wondered if anyone else has expereinced the same issue.

Cheers

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Chris!

The section about the Mac password is just if you would upgrade directly from <4.3
(which I guess is Movi). I had upgraded my Jabber Video on the Mac from 4.7 to 4.8
and did not notice that I had to change my password and I just tried it on a different box
and I did not had to do it.
I checked it now with a windows 7 machine and it is as you mentioned. The password
was lost and had to be entered again.
I forgot to check on my registry when I upgraded, that would have been interesting to see
if the same field was used with a different hash or if a new password field was added
(or something else happened or went wrong).

Please escalate this thread as a service request to get a TAC statement. It should not have
happened or at least it should have been mentioned in the release notes!

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jens Didriksen
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Chris,

We're seeing the same thing, the help-deks got a few of calls about it, but at least we don't have to send out passwords etc as we authenticate to AD.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Cheers Jens,

I was hoping you would see this and respond as I know you have a lot to do with Jabber.

Well, at least I not going mad.

Chris

Hi Chris,

No, you're not going mad - we saw the same thing here too.

First boot after the upgrade, it complains that the password is incorrect (if it was one that was stored previously) - just re-type it and it then works fine from then on.

For users who hadn't clicked the remember my password button, there were no issues reported.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Chris!

The section about the Mac password is just if you would upgrade directly from <4.3
(which I guess is Movi). I had upgraded my Jabber Video on the Mac from 4.7 to 4.8
and did not notice that I had to change my password and I just tried it on a different box
and I did not had to do it.
I checked it now with a windows 7 machine and it is as you mentioned. The password
was lost and had to be entered again.
I forgot to check on my registry when I upgraded, that would have been interesting to see
if the same field was used with a different hash or if a new password field was added
(or something else happened or went wrong).

Please escalate this thread as a service request to get a TAC statement. It should not have
happened or at least it should have been mentioned in the release notes!

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Chris Swinney
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Martin,

I will have to raise a TAC request outside of the forums as the account I use her to post is not the account associated to a service contract.

Still thanks guys for verifying this issue.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: