cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Video Internal to External Server Timeout

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I've had some of our users tell me that when they are off site, not connected to our network, that Jabber Video tries to connect to the internal server and it is taking a long time to time out, and then move on to the external server.  How long should it be taking to try the internal server, before trying the external?  It's been said, sometimes from 30 seconds up to a minute it seems they have to wait before it tries the external server and they're able to sign in.  We have a Control cluster, Jabber Video is setup to point to a DNS entry that splits to both peers.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't think there is any way to change the timeout - but one solution could be to have the internal server you specify be a DNS name that does not resolve when they're connected externally - that way, the DNS lookup will fail right away and it'll then jump straight to the external server.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

The internal server is an internal DNS entry, only assessable if they are on the internal local network.  They tell me they can see it trying the internal server, then it finally goes the the external after waiting for it to finally timeout.  I haven't tried it myself to see how long it really is taking, just know what they have told me, I figured it would try it, and as you said fail immediately, but it doesn't since they're able to see it trying.

Yes, it will try the internal server, but it should just flick on, then off again and move to the external server.

I'd be looking at what the users are doing between when it works and when it takes a long time - especially if it's only a small group of your users having the issue.

Perhaps it's how the people are using their devices - is the DNS entry of your internal server cached perhaps on their machine, ie, their device was plugged in to your LAN and the address was resolved, then they went walk about without shutting down (or otherwise clearing the DNS cache), then they try again when they're out and, as it still knows what the IP address of the internal server should be, it tries to connect to it still, and then they need to wait for the timeout.  Or, possibly, if the IP range of wherever they're connected to is similar to what your internal range is, they may be trying to make connections to a reachable IP address on the other network via the cached DNS entry... this could cause a longer delay...

You could test this (assuming it's a Windows device) by getting them to do an "ipconfig /flushdns" on their device when they're experiencing the timeouts and then try again to see if it's still an issue or not.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

I've seen this exact issue also and I believe that it's DNS related as Wayne said.  In our scenario (which was a bit weird) the internal server was still resolvable via DNS but not reachable via IP and it would sit there for 30 seconds+ trying to reach the internal server.

I just installed Jabber Video on my personal home laptop, and tried to login, I timed it and this is what I got (times are approximate).  It attempted to contact the internal server for 23 seconds, then tried the external server for 13 seconds, then tries and sucessfuly registers for 11 seconds.  Overall, it took about 47 seconds from start to finish.

The people that are experiencing this as well as me just now, are using either their work related computer, or personal computers.  Obviously the work related computers have been at one time on the internal network, the personal computers have not ever touch the internal network (such as mine).

Ok, that's pretty strange... I timed one here - on an external ADSL connection - it tried to connect to the Internal Server only for a second or so (flashed on the screen, then went off), then progressed to the external pretty well straight away - took about 16 seconds from clicking the "Sign in" button to being connected.

I can duplicate the long timeout you're experiencing by changing the internal server address (or by editing the hosts file to get the name to resolve elsewhere) to something that is accessible out on the internet (ie google.com's IP address).  Then I get similar timings to you, it tries the "internal" address for ~12 seconds, then connected to the external and finished after ~30.

Have you tried doing an nslookup of your internal server's name from your external connection to make sure that it's not resolvable?

Edit: What happens if you set the internal server address on your client to something that you know isn't going to resolve like: "this.address.doesnt.work"

Wayne
--

Wayne
--
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: