cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Limiting Port capacity for clients

Peter Anders
Level 1
Level 1

I have had a question about limiting the number of ports for a customer as a total. An example if provided below

Another example:

12 x endpoints

10 x internal jabber clients

5 x external traversal licenses (Remote endpoint of remote jabber)

12 x bridge ports total

We program up 4 x meeting rooms

Room 1 = 5 x ports

Room 2 = 5 x ports

Room 3 = 5 x ports

Room 4 = 12 x ports

How can I limit this customer to only ever use 12 x ports however at one time.

I know that I can limit external calls through Bandwidth restrictions , however can i complete this from the port perspective

Thank you in advance

4 Replies 4

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Peter,

As I understand your issue, you need to limit a customer to have no more than 12 simultaneously calls to MCU at the same time, so that the customer will consume no more than 12 ports. Is my understanding correct?

Well, unfortunately, unless you create one single conference in MCU and limit the maximum participant to 12, you won't be able to limit the total number of ports available for a certain customer.

MCU has no feature that allows you to have a global counter tha limits that maximum number of ports for certain conferences, the port limit is only set per conference and not globally.

It would be easy to resolve your issue if VCS was able to allow you to set a maximum number of calls for certain endpoints, maybe something applied to subzone or to a search rule. But for now it is not possile.

The best option you have at this moment is to contact your Cisco representative and raise a feature request. I suggest you to request a feature for VCS that allows you limit the maximum number of calls for certain endpoints.

I hope this help.

Paulo Souza

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Another option would be having an external call policy server integrated to VCS. So you would be able to send every call request to the call policy server, so you would be able to have a counter in the call policy server that deny the calls after reach a certain maximum value.

But this would be a customized application, I think, maybe something that your company could develop. I don't know any tool in the marketing today able to do such thing, but this is an option anyhow.

Paulo Souza

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

What extgernal call policy server would you recommend? Could we use Call manager express or CUCM?

Hi Peter,

I have made the same question some time ago, but nobody was able to answer me. I don't know any CPL server that can be integrated to VCS. I think CUCM cannot be used as CPL server.

I post this question in the community, and even Martin Koch wasn't able to suggest me any call policy server, either from Cisco or from another vendor:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3958272#3958272

The only thing I can think right now is about developing your own call policy server, that would be something to investigate.

Regards

Paulo Souza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: