Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Linking Cisco TelePresence with Polycom

Hello!

Need to setup Cisco TelePresence for an enterprise that has multiple sites running Polycom. As a condition my Cisco TelePresence systems should be able to make video calls to and from the Polycom endpoints.

What setup do I need on the Cisco side of things?

I'm thinking VCS Starter Pack and my Cisco/Tandberg endpoints will do.

I look forward to your help.

7 Replies 7

Patrick Pettit
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI Kelvin.  What is the customer currently using for a Gatekeeper now for the Polycom systems?  If using CMA, I personally haven't tried to register to there type GK, but if deploying startpack for the customer, registering the endpoints to the VCS shouldn't be any problem.  There are some caveats for Polycom systems in the X7.1 release notes, so would be best to check those out while working on your deployment.  Hope this helps.

VR

Patrick

Kelvin,

If the PolyCom devices are currently just calling each other via IP addresses, then you can register the Polycom's directly to the VCS Controller.  If they are HDX systems, then you can enable SIP and then point them to the VCS with the registration.

Rich

The Polycom guys sent me the following information (shown in bold letters).

"If you want to connect directly to us you need to use H320.

If you want to use H323 connectivity to us you need to do it via our outsource bridge first which will then establish a H320 connectivity to our office."

How can I establish video to such a system?

Can I use a stand alone QuickSet C20 system and link it direct to the Polycom using H.323 by dialing IP addresses.

Please assist.

HI Kelvin.  If ISDN is required, you can take a look at Cisco Telepresense ISDN Link module:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12504/index.html

If your going to connect to there external bridge system, you would have to find out how you need to dial them and coordinate with them on connectivity. 

If its another Polycom bridge, you have may have to dial there attendant and be moved to a conference or enter the code at the bridge to be put into that conference.  This of course depends on which bridge your calling (MGC or RMX).  But getting to them over H323 if your system is accesible to there's shouldn't be a problem.  You would just need to get the dial string from them to see how to connect. 

Hope this helps.

VR

Patrick

Thanks for the reply Patrick!

However, one of my questions hasn't been answered.

Can I use a stand alone QuickSet C20 system from my side of things?

I will be accessing the polycom system via the internet. From our side, it's totally IP connections. Bandwidth and everything else already meets TelePresence equirements.

Patrick Pettit
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kelvin. Shouldnt be an issue, but I say that not knowing how your environment is. C20 shouldnt have any problems connecting to Polycom MCU. Depending how Polycom is set up, dialing direct to them shouldnt be an issue if your sure no network restrictions will impede you.

VR
Patrick

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Thanks Patrick!

Connected to the bridge and it worked. Faced little problems with presentations but realized it had to do with the polycom bridge. After a few changes in the bridge both face-to-face and presentation worked perfectly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: