Views
Helpful
Replies

MCU 4203, extended ASCII supported?

Hi everyone:

We are using MCU 4203

Software version is 4.3

Build 6.18

We have issues with multipoint conferences.

Our videoconference solution uses H323 as the dialing protocol and VCS as the gatekeeper.

We schedule multipoint conferences through the booking option of the TMS.

The problem arises when we try to include in a multipoint conference and endpoint containing a "ñ" (Alt+164) in its H323ID.

The MCU is unable to call the endpoint containing the "ñ" in its H323ID. We had the next log in the conference control centre of the TMS:

8/12/13 10:52:02 PM ConnectCallError           MCU-2    Call failed: Esc4JoseBatlleyOrdoñez, Esc4JoseBatlleyOrdoñez. Dial failed

8/12/13 10:51:32 PM ConnectCallWarning      MCU-2    Dial failed: Description: malformed parameter: address. System: 172.20.255.12 Interface: HTTP Command: 'Dial' Result from system: 'Error, fault code 103'

During this same conference, we tried calling the endpoint by its E164Aias and it worked fine.

Afterwards, we tried modifying the H323ID from "Esc4JoseBatlleyOrdoñez" to "Esc4JoseBatlleyOrdonez", we scheduled a new conference and the MCU succesfully called the endpoint.

What do you think the problme could be?

VCS is registering correctly the H323ID, both, when its "Esc4JoseBatlleyOrdoñez" and "Esc4JoseBatlleyOrdonez"

Adhoc conferences using H323 dialing are succesfully stablished using "Esc4JoseBatlleyOrdoñez" as the H323ID

I my opinion, MCU has an issue managing ASCII extended characters.

I would like to know if there is a software release that fixes this compatibility issue.

Thanks for your help in adavance!

Regards!

5 Replies 5

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Oscar!

First of all I do not like to use special non asci-127 characters, check out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percent-encoding / RFC 3986.

As you saw this fixed your issue ;-)

If it is critical for you you might consider opening a TAC case for it.

If you are just using the mcu, you should look into: sip, a proper call control,

a proper dial plan, ... all that is easier with non utf or escaped characters.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Oscar,

Having a quick flick through the Release Notes for 4.4(3.57) there seems to be a some fixes in more recent versions of the MCU software for Unicode character issues.  A software upgrade to the more recent 4.4 version could be worth a try.

Wayne

--

Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Sure its always worth trying, but At least I tried it with 4.4 (3.49) on a 8510 (latest would be 3.54)

and it behaved the same.

i can see a registeration on the VCS for my ex90 on h323 pop up as

Esc4JoseBatlleyOrdoñez but the call from the MCU goes to Esc4JoseBatlleyOrdoñez.

Before reporting a case to TAC its anyhow helpful as they would most likely ask the same.

Anyhow, I would not use special characters as you will have issues international

as well as technology wise, so why even bother with it.

Using proper URI dialing and your good!

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Thank you both for your help!

I will give a try to URI dialing but im not sure were i have to encode the H323ID.

I tried encoding the character directly in the codec persistent settings, but it just gets Esc4JoseBatlleyOrdo%F1ez.

Thank you!

Regards!

no encoding, just use: Esc4JoseBatlleyOrdonez or better use a VCS and Esc4JoseBatlleyOrdonez@domain.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: