Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Migration Tool Fail - 'The simple bind attempt failed'

I have the following environment:

TMS 13.2

PE 1.0

I tried to run the migration tool with OPEN DS and TMS PE services running. I switched from TMS Agent Legacy to Provisioning Extension.

Replication is disabled on our VCS control appliance.

The migration fails with the message "The simple bind attempt failed."

Below is the log.  Any thoughts?

02 Jan 2014 17:02:19 INFO  - Migration started

02 Jan 2014 17:02:19 INFO  - Exporting data from OpenDS

02 Jan 2014 17:02:23 ERROR - Export ldif error output: You have provided options for scheduling this operation as a task but options

provided for connecting to the server's tasks backend resulted in the

following error: 'The simple bind attempt failed'

02 Jan 2014 17:02:23 ERROR - Ldif export failed

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: com.cisco.ts.mgmt.migrationtool.exception.LdifExportFailedException: Ldif export failed: You have provided options for scheduling this operation as a task but options

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerGet(Unknown Source) [na:1.6.0_33]

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(Unknown Source) [na:1.6.0_33]

at com.cisco.ts.mgmt.migrationtool.ldif.LdifExporterImpl.exportLdif(LdifExporterImpl.java:143) ~[migration-tool-1.0.159.jar:na]

at com.cisco.ts.mgmt.migrationtool.ldif.LdifExporterImpl.exportLdifFromOpenDS(LdifExporterImpl.java:55) ~[migration-tool-1.0.159.jar:na]

at com.cisco.ts.mgmt.migrationtool.MigratorImpl.getLdifFileInputStream(MigratorImpl.java:334) [migration-tool-1.0.159.jar:na]

at com.cisco.ts.mgmt.migrationtool.MigratorImpl.runMigration(MigratorImpl.java:145) [migration-tool-1.0.159.jar:na]

at com.cisco.ts.mgmt.migrationtool.ui.MigrationToolUI$4.doInBackground(MigrationToolUI.java:341) [migration-tool-1.0.159.jar:na]

at com.cisco.ts.mgmt.migrationtool.ui.MigrationToolUI$4.doInBackground(MigrationToolUI.java:338) [migration-tool-1.0.159.jar:na]

at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source) [na:1.6.0_33]

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source) [na:1.6.0_33]

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source) [na:1.6.0_33]

at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source) [na:1.6.0_33]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source) [na:1.6.0_33]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) [na:1.6.0_33]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) [na:1.6.0_33]

Caused by: com.cisco.ts.mgmt.migrationtool.exception.LdifExportFailedException: Ldif export failed: You have provided options for scheduling this operation as a task but options

at com.cisco.ts.mgmt.migrationtool.ldif.LdifExporterImpl$1.call(LdifExporterImpl.java:121) ~[migration-tool-1.0.159.jar:na]

at com.cisco.ts.mgmt.migrationtool.ldif.LdifExporterImpl$1.call(LdifExporterImpl.java:93) ~[migration-tool-1.0.159.jar:na]

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source) [na:1.6.0_33]

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source) [na:1.6.0_33]

... 3 common frames omitted

02 Jan 2014 17:02:23 ERROR - Migration failed

6 REPLIES

Migration Tool Fail - 'The simple bind attempt failed'

some thoughts:

Did you check that opends is really running?

Can you connect with an external ldap tool?

TMS Agent diagnostics ok?

Hostnames / DNS ok?

Any / right Passwords set up?

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Cisco Employee

Re: Migration Tool Fail - 'The simple bind attempt failed'

Hi Frank,

I assume your following the appropriate deployment document, which would this one:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/tmspe/install_guide/Cisco_TMSPE_Deployment_Guide_1-0.pdf

If that's the case, then just a few questions based on what you say:

>>I tried to run the migration tool with OPEN DS and TMS PE services  running.

That is correct, the TMSPE service and the Legacy TMS Agent service and Opends service need to be running so that the migration tool can operate appropriately, either during the TMSPE install or when running the tool manually. However, are you manually running the tool or running at the end of the TMSPE install?

>>I switched from TMS Agent Legacy to Provisioning Extension.

This isn't correct. You shouldn't 'switch' from TMS Agent Legacy to PE until you have successfully migrated the data during the migration tool process, i.e. this is fairly clear during the step by step procedures in the document above.

>>Replication is disabled on our VCS control appliance.

That's correct and that should actually been one of the first  things you needed to do (per the documentation again) even before  installing TMSPE.

With that said, and in addition to what Martin says above, some other things you may want to think about:

- What kind of memory do you have on the server? Should be 4gb or more.

- Are the TMS and TMSPE SQL dbs local on the server or on an external SQL Server?

- Do you have more than one NIC enabled on the TMS server? If so, then TMS and TMSPE only support one NIC being enabled...meaning if a second or more NICs are enabled, these need to be disabled.

- Do you have AV software installed on the TMS/TMSPE server? If so, have you disabled AV on the server while running the migration tool?

Let's start there and then move on, but you really need to ensure you follow the deployment doc to the letter

But as a final question, do you necessarily have to migrate the data? For example, in your Legacy TMS Agent setup, were you creating your users via AD import into your groups? Meaning if it's the groups and users your really after, you can always just re-create the groups and re-import the users via AD again in TMSPE. If your not doing AD import, and the users are manually built, how many users are we talking about?

And not saying this so has to bypass the challenge here but just offering you alternatives so has to possibly forgo the migration part.

rgds,

Dale

Thanks for the quick responses. I found a solution and I will try and answer all your questions.

Situation: I'm trying to create a DEV environment that is a replica of PROD.  We are on TMS 13.2.2 PE 1.0.  Our goal is to create a DEV enviroment and perform an upgrade of TMS to 14.3.1 PE 1.1 in DEV.  DEV will not have access to VCS/VCS E or Codian appliances.

Action: We took backups of PROD and OPENDS with replication disabled and restored them in DEV.  We then attempted to install PE 1.0 and run the migration tool.  I ran into the error posted originally.

OPENDS was in a bad state and 2 of the 4 diagnostics failed.  I had to rename the app.config file found in

c:\program files (x86)\tandberg\tms\wwwtms\data\tmsagent and restart OPENDS and TMSagent services.  I also removed the VCS control device in systems.  The VCS control was not found in DEV.  I ran the TMS Agent diagnostics successfully.

The migration tool failed again and this time TMS PE service failed to start.  I uninstalled TMS PE, rebooted and re-installed PE 1.0.  I verfied the state of OPENDS, verified PE and OPENDS services were running and ran the migration tool successfully.  I will move on to the upgrade of TMS 14.3.1 and PE 1.1.

I hope that answers some of your questions.  If not, please let me know.  Many thanks.

Also, here is the output after the migration.

Cisco Employee

Looks good to me Thanks for getting back to us Frank. I think you'll find your upgrade to 14.3.1 and PE 1.1 should be a bit smoother as well. However, just make sure everything is work appropriately in TMS 13.2 and PE 1.0 before moving on

We successfully upgraded to TMS 14.3.1 and PE 1.1.  The app team reported no issues.  Of course this is DEV with no access to MCUs or VCS.  FYI.

Views
Helpful
Replies