Views
Helpful
Replies

Move endpoints from one TMS to an other

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi!

Did somebody successfully try to move MXP/TC systems from one TMS to an other one?

I am going to merge systems from two different TMS to one.

I shortly tried to change the management IP for an endpoint, but the TMS then complained that its not its local address, ...

Maybe it is possible with a custom XML template or some DNS tricks.

Any thoughts and caveats?

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

4 Replies 4

daleritc
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Martin,

You can't really 'move' or 'merge' a system from one TMS to the other, i.e. two completely different databases. Therefore, you can add the system to the other TMS (either manually or automatic discovery methods) and then do an enforce management settings on those systems to reflect your other TMS. You'd then want to remove all the systems from the former TMS and/or take the other TMS down since if not, you'll effectively have two TMSs fighting over the same system.

cheers,

Dale

I Dale,

thx for your quick feedback!

Yea, I am aware of that, at least for non firewalled connections that the auto "enforced managemet" would

reclaim the systems automatically.

I do not care about the databases and that I am going to burn down the old one. But as you said,

I have to manually or use some auto discovery, both is not so easy as I do not have control over the

remote networks, nor access to the system as most are behind firewall.

So if I could at least use the old tms, to tell the endpoint "hey thats your new tms/external manager" address, ...

Like I said setting it in the syste navigator does not work.

Other thoughts I had:

* making the old tms believe it is using the DNS name of the new one and set the DNS entry up

(not sure which side effects it would have and not sure if this works with TC2 systems, as they had some dns bug)

* use a custom configuration template

(would something like (this is for tc) work (did not had the time to test)

TMS POST

tms.address.local
HTTP tms/public/external/management/systemmanagementservice.asmx Auto

* replace the old TMS with a webserver which is just returning some xml which sets the external manager address

(how should the path (I guess tms/public/external/management/systemmanagementservice.asmx at least for TC)

and the result of this website look like and can there be something generic for TC and MXP

or would I need to analyze what kind of system it is?

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Hi Martin

Can you use the AdminTool>Configuration>Netwroks>Advanced Network Settings for Systems on Public Internet/Behind Firewall setting on the old server to tell the system behind firewall that they need to now use a different address? ( new TMS server address) If you have auto discovery of SOHO system enabled on the new server then they should appear in the new TMS?

I suspect you may need to reboot the endpoint first but I have not tested this

Garvan

That's a good thought Garvan since Martin now mentions most of these systems are Behind the Firewall. And are your External Services also 'On' and configured on these systems to reflect the new TMS server?