Views
Helpful
Replies

MRA configuration with different domain name

aneesh abraham
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

We are configuring MRA with different internal and external domain name. internal domain is abc.local and external domain is abc.com

Exp C ,CUCM and IMP are in abc.local domain and Exp E is in abc.com domain. users using user@abc.local to login to jabber .

So we created external  SRV records . (_collab-edge._tsl.abc.com)  . in internal DNS server we created _cisco-uds._tcp.abc.local. 

From what I know , we need to create _cisco-uds._tcp.abc.com record in internal DNS as well .

The problem is since we cant add abc.com zone (it will affect the existing ERP setup ) we cannot create _cisco-uds._tcp.abc.com in our DNS server . 

Is there any workaround for this ?

Aneesh Abraham

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

Take a look at pinpoint domain in the document below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_7/CJAB_BK_C606D8A9_00_cisco-jabber-dns-configuration-guide/CJAB_BK_C606D8A9_00_cisco-jabber-dns-configuration-guide_chapter_010.html

Please rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

35 Replies 35

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

Take a look at pinpoint domain in the document below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_7/CJAB_BK_C606D8A9_00_cisco-jabber-dns-configuration-guide/CJAB_BK_C606D8A9_00_cisco-jabber-dns-configuration-guide_chapter_010.html

Thanks George . I was looking for a document like this .

but as per the document pinpoint subdomain is not supported in new version of jabber and it replaced by voice services domain .Can anyone tell me how to do that

Thanks 

Aneesh 

in the jabber-config.xml

<Policies>
  <VoiceServicesDomain>XXX.com</VoiceServicesDomain>
</Policies>

or from the outside to avoid logging in you can leave of the servicediscovery if you aren't using webex

Users can install jabber and launch this url from email to by pass logging in first.  If you are using android devices you need to publish this as a webpage.  Iphone/ipad/etc works fine

ciscojabber://provision?ServicesDomain=XXX.local&VoiceServicesDomain=XXXX.com&ServiceDiscoveryExcludedServices=WEBEX

Thanks efisher for replying .

The issue here is I cannot add abc.com in my internal domain (abc.local is my local domain) . As George suggested pinpoint subdomain is a solution for this .But I dont know cisco support that now. Is there any other solution for this issue ? 

Pinpoint domain is supported by TAC, have you heard otherwise?

As per the document you provided above

Support of the fixed pinpoint subdomain has been replaced in later versions of Cisco Jabber by the support of the new VoiceServicesDomain configuration key.

Example configuration using Service Discovery to replace pinpoint subdomains:
  • Internal DNS authoritative for : example.local
  • External DNS authoritative for : example.com

I have looked at a few jabber logs recently and I can say that I didnt see jabber querying cisco-internal.domain.com SRV record after collab-edge record and others failed. It  may be that this is no longer supported. I suggest you use the "voiceservicesDomain" option..Here is an indepth detail on how to get this done

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/expressway-series/117811-configure-vcs-00.html

Please rate all useful posts

Thanks Ayodeji for the support

My issue is we have configured email in cloud so our email id is user@abc.com and we have some other cloud service as well they are using abc.com  to access those services. if I add abc.com zone in our internal DNS server every service stop working and employees cannot access emails. so I cannot add abc.com zone in our internal server.  

I hope it is clear now. Is there any work around for the issue  I am stuck at this point .

Aneesh

Infact ignore the idea of opening a TAC case. What you can do is put your expressway in abc.local. This is fairly easy since its defined by configuration and not any AD integration. With this, you can then define your voiceservicesdomain to be abc.local. You will then need to configure SRV records as follows

DNS Records

This section describes the configuration settings for the external and internal DNS records.

External

SRV record _collab-edge._tls.abc.local -------------points to FQDN of expressway

Internal

Type Entry Resolves To
SRV record _cisco-uds._tcp.abc.local -----points to CUCM

_cuplogin._tcp.abc.local-----points to IMP

This should do it for you.

Thanks for replying..

If I put my expressway in abc.local domain it is not routable from internet

abc.local is an internal domain ( it is not a registered domain ) registered domain is abc.com (routable from internet ) . We need to register Jabber from internet . do you think it will work ?

The expressway C will sit in the internal domain and doesnt have to be routable over the internet. The expressway E will sit in the DMZ/external network and that has to be on the abc.com domain. This will work just fine, I am not quite sure what you are concerned about. 

As Ayodeji mentioned above, put the SRV records as he mentioned. One minor change is that external SRV record. It should be _collab-edge._tls.abc.com and not abc.local. which points to FQDN of Expressway E (eg.expe.abc.com).

When building the internal UC traversal zone and assuming you dont have any kind of split DNS, the FQDN of the Expressway E will be used as the peer address. This should resolve to the external public IP address assigned to the Expressway E.

If you follow the link that Ayodeji gave, that should work.There might be minor differences due to the latest version of 8.2.

George according to the documentation his setup will not work if he uses the guide, here is the argument:

1. He needs to set voice services domain to abc.com

The client performs a Domain Name System (DNS) SRV record query for _collab-edge._tls.abc.com.  Jabber uses this configuration in order to discover the Collaboration Edge and the UDS.

2.Because the voice services domain is set to abc.com, Jabber embeds abc.com in the transformed URL for the Collaboration Edge configuration discovery (get edge_config). Once received, the Expressway-C performs an SRV UDS record query for abc.com and returns the records in the 200 OK message

So the transformed url will look like this:

https://uclabexpwe.abc.com:8443/dWNsYWIuY29t/get_edge_config?service_name=_cisco-uds&service_name=_cuplogin

Hence ExpwC needs to do a SRV query domain abc.com

The issue here is that his internal domain is abc.local, hence he cant configure SRV records for abc.com and as such any SRV query for that domain will fail.

SO it looks like for this to work your expwe domain has to be the same as your internal domain. Unless you can add new zones to your DNS server

Hi Ayodeji,

If i use dual NIC in Expressway E, how do i setup the traversal zone? Should i use FQDN of Expressway E which is external domain?

Thanks.

If you use dual NIC, then the FQDN of expressway-E needs to resolve to the Internal IP of Expwe. The external interface will need to be natted to talk to the public.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: