cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MSE 8510 MCU Chair vs Guest participants

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What is the difference between a chair and guest participant, and what is considered for someone to be a chair and another a guest?

I have the following options set on our MCU and no matter how I dial in, even from a non registered endpoint that isn't on our VCS, I'm always given the level of control set for the chair users.

MCU type:  MSE 8510 v4.3

In call menu for chair:     Level 3 - Advanced

In call menu for guest:    Level 1 - Local

Thanks, Patrick

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

> What is the difference between a chair and guest participant, and what is considered for someone to be a chair and another a guest?

A conference will not begin until the first chairperson joins.

Endpoint participate as guests (participate the conference with guest ID) will see a black screen/hear silence with on screen text 'Waiting for conference chairperson' and an audio prompt after five seconds and then every minute thereafter.

Addition to above, you can control the behavior when the last chairperson leaves the conference (that is the When only guests remain setting).

The two options are:

- All participants are disconnected (default)

- All participants may continue the conference until the last one disconnects (take no action)

View solution in original post

MCU differentiate the user access level based on PIN number (“PIN” is for chair access and “Guest PIN” is for guest access”) entered when accessing specific conference.

For example conference with PIN=100 and Guest PIN=200.

If user enter 100 as conference pin code for accessing the conference, this user/Endpoint join the conference with chair access level.

If user enter 200 as conference pin code for accessing the conference, this user/Endpoint join the conference with guest access level.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

> What is the difference between a chair and guest participant, and what is considered for someone to be a chair and another a guest?

A conference will not begin until the first chairperson joins.

Endpoint participate as guests (participate the conference with guest ID) will see a black screen/hear silence with on screen text 'Waiting for conference chairperson' and an audio prompt after five seconds and then every minute thereafter.

Addition to above, you can control the behavior when the last chairperson leaves the conference (that is the When only guests remain setting).

The two options are:

- All participants are disconnected (default)

- All participants may continue the conference until the last one disconnects (take no action)

Okay, that makes sence now.  On our MCU, we have all of our conferences setup with a "Numeric ID" which if I'm understanding this correct is the chairperson's ID.  We don't have anything setup for the "Guest ID", so of course no one would be considred a guest unless they dial into that address?

MCU differentiate the user access level based on PIN number (“PIN” is for chair access and “Guest PIN” is for guest access”) entered when accessing specific conference.

For example conference with PIN=100 and Guest PIN=200.

If user enter 100 as conference pin code for accessing the conference, this user/Endpoint join the conference with chair access level.

If user enter 200 as conference pin code for accessing the conference, this user/Endpoint join the conference with guest access level.

Tomonori - Is it possible to make the chairperson menu accessible via entering a PIN from inside the conference, and at the same time making the guest menu always avaliable to everyone, but keeping the advanced conference setting to those that have the PIN to access them.

I've seen the following on someone's MCU we used once, sorry I don't know which brand or model:

1. Connect to it via IP Address
  2. Enter PIN to enter conference as a normal user
  3. Hit # to bring up a promt to enter the admin PIN to access advanced conference features

Once admin PIN was entered, anytime we accessed the menu from within the conference we had access to those features until we left the conference.

I know if no chairperson is in the conference it will not start, so perhaps making the chairperson menu level be a users Local settings, but still have some way to access the Advanced settings.

Could something like this be possible using TMS and the MSE 8510 MCU?

Currently in conference control menu has no password protection so control menu will be available (in different level of menu access between chair and guest) once press “#” during the conference call.

Additional password code protection before allow using conference control menu is sound good feature.

Please contact your Cisco sales representative (probably sales engineer will be best or technical marketing engineer if you have contact) and raise this as feature request on TelePresence MCU.

Yeah it would be nice to give everyone the Local level of access for the in conference menus, while at the same time if someone would like to have higher level of access to the MCU for conference controls etc then they would input an admin PIN.  As it is right now, everyone has full MCU control of conferences when using TMS, which could cause a problem if someone accidenty hits the * key and then starts poking around the menus.

I Just sent the email to our local Sales Engineer, will see what comes about.

Great, let me know once you receive back the feedback from your Cisco SE contact.

I will follow up this internally although we can’t commit anything this point whether it will implement or not including timing of it even if we decided to support this.

Appreciate this type of feedback which improve product quality and usability.

I'm still waiting to hear back from our Cisco SE, I simply directed him to this forums thread.

A few other things I noticed with the auto attendant and in call menu system is:

Auto Attendant

• Hitting the * key erases the entire conference ID that you're putting in, it should be a simple backspace.  If you have a long ID to enter, erasing the entire ID just to fix one number is time consuming for users.

In-Call Menu

• In some menus there is an option "# more", when I hit this, it shows the additional options, but only for a very brief moment.  Just enought time to read what they are, but not enough to act on those options, since the only way you can do any of those "more" options is to be on that more screen it's almost not possible since it disappears too quickly.  I tried it, knowing exactly the options before I did it, and I didn't have enough time to hit the button before it went back to the main options I was on previously.

Any thoughts?

> Auto Attendant

> Hitting the * key erases the entire conference ID that you're putting in, it should be

> a simple backspace. If you have a long ID to enter, erasing the entire ID just to

> fix one number is time consuming for users.

This is bit challenge as DTMF only support 0-9, * and # only.

# is already reserved for entering the conference call with entered the conference ID.

So left over key is *, which been use this way for a long time so unless there is large enough feedback/request, we can't simply modify the operation method to avoid unnecessary confusion for existing customer.

> In-Call Menu

> In some menus there is an option "# more", when I hit this, it shows the additional

> options, but only for a very brief moment. Just enought time to read what they are,

> but not enough to act on those options, since the only way you can do any of

> those "more" options is to be on that more screen it's almost not possible since

> it disappears too quickly.  I tried it, knowing exactly the options before I did it, and

> I didn't have enough time to hit the button before it went back to the main options

> I was on previously.

“# More” is design for provide quick help what operation is available for conference operation mane during the call (excluding a few operation that is only available while in “# More” menu windows).

Could you please specify bit more which “# More” menu you are experiencing a difficulty for operating due to menu display timeout?

The * DTMF clear key was just me thinking aloud, figured I'd mention it and see what the thought was, so no worries.  It works and does what it's supposed to do.  I can't begin to count how many times I've mistyped a PIN or conference ID and had to retype from scratch, esspecially those that can be 6+ numbers long. 

I haven't done much with the in-call menu as of yet, but I was looking at it today for a moment.  I noticed at least for me any menu that contained the "# More" option only displayed those additional commands for a very brief moment, for me it was barely enough time to see the 3 or so extra commands and descriptions.  I can't remember which menu/level I was on at the time, but when I return to work Thursday I can go through all the menus to check.

Not sure how we can priorities this but possible solution is to use *+number for differentiate the delete all and backspace.

However this probably might cause difficulty for robustness of operation as require 2 keys sending separately but making sure to reach on MCU otherwise may cause wrong operation.

For in-call menu, any feedback on this is very helpful as this is newly implement feature.

We are always looking for great feedback from field to improve feature.

Tomonori - Here are the details of the #More function.

I've only found it in the following menu areas:

Conference actions > Add participant

Conference settings > Add PIN

Conference settings > Add guest PIN

I've noticed that I can only access the features provided by the #More function (* abc, 0 Back, # Call), when I hit the # key and the options I've listed are displayed.  Again the issue is, that the #More features doesn't display but at most 3 seconds or less.  In all my tests to see how long it will display for the most part it only stayed on the screen for a brief moment, and not long enough to even try to input the Back or Call command, much less trying to change from abc to 123.

OK, I will share your feedback to MCU development/escalation team for further investigation on this.

Thanks for your feedback.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: