cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Loss

Nicholas Holum
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all. I have two endpoints at one site in Denver. The two endpoints can call each other directly with no packet loss. However as soon as either call another site they report packet loss. Obviously the first thing that comes to mind is something with the WAN link in Denver. However the WAN admin isn't seeing any packet loss in his monitoring tools. I am wondering... is there is something I can look for in VCS or MCU or on the endpoints that could tip us off as to the cause?

4 Replies 4

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you could share some more info on your deployment, like used endpoints, how everything is set up,

version numbers, how much bandwidth is available, how much is allocated, how the call and traffic flow looks like, ...

If its a local=non traversal call then the media should stay within that site.

If it goes out to an other location it will most likely use the WAN.

You could look at the call status and do debugging on the endpoints, incl packet captures.

On the captures you could compare what do you send out and what do you get in and then

talk to the WAN admin again if its not the same ;-)

Depending on your WAN, also check the MTU, so even if the packet is not lost if its not complete

it also causes the same symptoms.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Well I just talked to the WAN admin... he said he's showing Denver has a T1 that's down. They're supposed to have fvie 1s. So we're thinking something going on there, and it's probably causing the packet loss.

Here's what we're working with...

Denver - five T1s, currently working with four

Cisco C40 , TC7.0.1

Tandberg Edge 95MXP, F9.3.1 NTSC

Omaha - DS3

Cisco C40 , TC7.0.1

Cisco SX20 , TC7.0.1

Cisco MCU 4510 , 4.4(3.42)

Cisco VCS , X7.2.2

Cisco TMS , 13.1.1

More often than not we connect calls through the MCU. But in troubleshooting this I have tried direct (endpoint to endpoint) and through the MCU.

outlooker
Level 1
Level 1

Most of time, the packet loss is introduced by wireless or netem module, which could be enabled by VMware. As Martin said, it will be helpful if you could list wireless link and VMware environment.

There is no wireless involved. Only place VMware is present is with TMS... which is running on a virtual machine.