cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Polycom unable to connect with Cisco endpoints

Darren McKinnon
Level 1
Level 1

I've been asked to troubleshoot why an old VSX5000 is unable to connect with our cisco endpoints.  I am thinking the only issue is that the VSX5000 is only capable of dialing IP numbers, and not URL or IP##alias. I am not able to confirmation of this.  Can any of you confirm this?

Darren          

5 Replies 5

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Darrem,

I can't speak specifically for the VSX5000, but I've got some 6000s and 7000s - we had to get them upgraded to a recent version of firmware to be able to be able to support SIP style URLs.  We're running the latest available 9.0.6.2 on those old Polycoms.  If I recall (it was a couple of years ago), they had to be on the 9.x revision, the old 8.x didn't work.

Saying that, some of the endpoints of differing hardware revisions would only register with one of SIP/H.323 at a time, and others could be enabled for both.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

I was able to verify that the Polycom is 8.5.2. 

D.

You might check to see if the Cisco endpoints are supporting both SIP and H.323

H.323 would be for the dialing by IP address.

You did not meantion if the Cisco units are registered to CUCM or VCS.

You might try getting the old Polycom to register to the VCS as its gatekeeper and then making rules on the VCS to transcode the h.323 from the Polycom to SIP to the Cisco Endpoints.

The cisco endpoints are mine, and I know my gear works.  The Polycom is an external party who wants to connect with us, and cannot.  That's why I'm limited on what I can do for testing and info gathering.  I was just looking for someone who could answer whether the VSX5000 could perform URL dialing. 

Even if it is not registered to a gatekeeper, it should be able to dial IP##alias.

Darren

Hi Darren,

Even the 9.0.6.2 documentation I have here for the VSXes says "the dialling information will look like one of these samples:

—     10.11.12.13 (IP address—include the dots)

—     2555 (E.164 extension)

—     AscotRoom (H.323 name)

—     stereo.polycom.com (DNS name)

—     19782922854 (ISDN number)"

But from using them, I know that's not a 100% complete list, as, if you have SIP enabled, you can dial the extension@address.com URI format.

I can recall that when we put all our Cisco kit in, we had to upgrade all the VSXes we had from version 8.x to version 9.0.1 - and since then we've moved them all to 9.0.6.2 (the last available release) to address a few other issues.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.