Views
Helpful
Replies

Premium Resolution key needed for C90?

gfolens
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I'm a bit confused with the use of the Premium Resolutino option for C-series codec such as a C90.

As I understand it this option enables the codec for communication speeds up to 4Mb/s.

Or do you also need this option if you have a high resolution projector/screen and want to use 1920 x 1200@60Hz (WUXGA) for local presentations?

I'm asking this because we use 2 DVI inputs to connect 2 PC screens configured for 1600x1200 and these are then combined into the 1 HDMI output of the C90 (2 screens are showed side-by-side on one screen).

The resulting quality is rather poor.

If tried adjusting some settings but this changes nothing on the quality.

So I wonder if I need the Premium resolution option to get a better quality?

In the C90 datasheet you see in the column: "Live Video Resolutions (Encode/Decode)" the different resolutions and for some of them you see 2 stars (**) but at the bottom of the table you find only a 1 star (*) remark: 'Requires Option"....

rgds, Geert.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Geert,

The Premium Resolution key only affects the resolutions you can transmit during a video conference, and has no effect on the local display.

If I read it correctly, you're trying to take input from two 1600x1200 inputs (effectively a combined 3200x1200 image if side by side) and display that on to a single output (1920x1200 max).

To do that, there is obviously some scaling involved, so the resuling output could be considered "poor", but only because you're trying to show more than is possible.

ie, each input, to display side by side, at the original aspect ratio, would be scaled to 960x720 giving a 1920x720 image.

Your best option would be to reduce the resolution of what you're sending in to the system from the two PC/DVI inputs to something more sensible (ie 1024x768 - this will still require some scaling, but only a small amount).

And then, if you want to be able to send these images, in the high resolution, to a far end device, you'll need the PR Key - without the PR key, they'll be scaled more to one of the supported resolutions (and even further at lower bandwidths).

Wayne

--

Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

amehla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Gfolens,

Resolutions that require Premium Resolution option key :

• 1920 × 1080@60 fps (1080p60)*
  • 1920 × 1080@30 fps (1080p30)
  • 1440 × 900@30 fps (WXGA+)
  • 1472 × 1080@30 fps (SXGA+)
  • 1680 × 1050@30 fps (WSXGA+)
  • 1600 × 1200@30 fps (UXGA)
  • 512 × 288@60 fps (w288p60)
  • 768 × 448@60 fps (w448p60)
  • 1024 × 576@60 fps (w576p60)
  • 1280 × 720@60 fps (720p60)
  • 1080p60 is only supported by SX20, MX300-G2, C60 and C90

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Geert,

The Premium Resolution key only affects the resolutions you can transmit during a video conference, and has no effect on the local display.

If I read it correctly, you're trying to take input from two 1600x1200 inputs (effectively a combined 3200x1200 image if side by side) and display that on to a single output (1920x1200 max).

To do that, there is obviously some scaling involved, so the resuling output could be considered "poor", but only because you're trying to show more than is possible.

ie, each input, to display side by side, at the original aspect ratio, would be scaled to 960x720 giving a 1920x720 image.

Your best option would be to reduce the resolution of what you're sending in to the system from the two PC/DVI inputs to something more sensible (ie 1024x768 - this will still require some scaling, but only a small amount).

And then, if you want to be able to send these images, in the high resolution, to a far end device, you'll need the PR Key - without the PR key, they'll be scaled more to one of the supported resolutions (and even further at lower bandwidths).

Wayne

--

Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: