Views
Helpful
Replies

Profile system C40 with VCS Starter Pack Expressway

Alan Couto
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

Client want features as firewall traversal and conferencing (MCU 5300).

But as this is a small scenario (it will have around 2 Profile C40 + 2 SX20 + 10 Jabber Video), I found it will be interesting use VCS Starter Pack Expressway. It will not go over 50 registrations nor 25 traversal calls as showed at datasheet "capacity support".

I took a look at some topis here and also some documents and say that C40/SX20 are not supported for provisioning but since support SIP/H323 the calls should work perfectly.

Doubt: What the client will loose in terms of features or benefits without the support of provisioning this endpoints?

It would be a pain in the neck to register SX20 or C40 at VCS Starterpack expressway?      

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps7060/ps11305/ps11315/ps11337/data_sheet_c78-697075.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/Cisco_VCS_Expressway_Starter_Pack_Deployment_Guide_X7-2.pdf

Thanks!

Alan

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Olá Alan, respenderei em Inglês para fica na base de dados, mas perguntas de Design são melhor respondidas no forum Business Video.

Regarding your 3 points, it depends:

1) Even if you deploy TMS, the Endpoint will try to get the phonebook using an HTTP/HTTPS connection. If the Endpoints are outside/internet, this can be denied by security reasons.

2) You can still configure auth on the VCS StarterPack to auth against local Database. At the Manually configured Endpoints, you can enter the credentials.

3) You can configure Bandwith control on VC configuration (subzones or pipes) or limit directly at each endpoint

The SX/MX/EX/C series can register at the StarPack using direct connection (H323/SIP) or behind FW/NAT using H.460.18/19 or Assent. They can Auth at local VCS DB. Be aware that the VCS S is usually installed at an external DMZ or directly with a Public IP. In this case, if you have 2 x SX at internal network and the VCS at the DMZ (with NAT in the middle), all media will go trough the VCS, even if both SX are at the same subnet.

PS: Be carefull where to include the VCS. If you need to use NAT on the VCS, you´ll need Dual network license.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Elter

View solution in original post

The components you need to run provisioning are the VCS and TMS,

so if you plan to anyhow buy TMS (not 100% sure about the costs and the

minimum set of licenses which you can get) I would prefer a proper setup.

Especially the provisioning feature will give you way more options in the

TMS deployment in comparison to the VCS-E-SP deployment.

If you just want to use it without management and you want it simple it

will work fine.

And yes, there is a dua interface option for the VCS-E but you might want

to check upfront if it fits your deployment and the traffic flow you expect.

(like I do not see an internal / external interface model using the VCS-E-SP

deployment) There is at least one thread in the forum around that.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Alok Jaiswal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Alan,

I think registering the sx20 or c40 at vcs starter pack should be ok and doesn't involve too complex process.

When you don't provision the endpoint you won't get options like phone book etc. however you can manually built that on the endpoints.

Rgds

Alok

Hello Alok,

Thanks for the reply.

1 - So if we need phone book synch for all we can deploy TMS right?

Features:

• Device provisioning templates: The Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express supports device provisioning including device authentication, bandwidth limitations, and phone book information for a wider range of devices, including Cisco Jabber Video for TelePresence, Cisco TelePresence System EX and MXP Series endpoints, and Cisco IP Video Phone E20.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps7060/ps11305/ps11315/ps11337/data_sheet_c78-697075.html

2- Do you know how works authentication? I can not see authentication since user don't type any user/pass to log in at Jabber Video for example...

3- The bandwith control will still exist even if we register a different endpoint like SX20?

Thanks!

Alan.

Olá Alan, respenderei em Inglês para fica na base de dados, mas perguntas de Design são melhor respondidas no forum Business Video.

Regarding your 3 points, it depends:

1) Even if you deploy TMS, the Endpoint will try to get the phonebook using an HTTP/HTTPS connection. If the Endpoints are outside/internet, this can be denied by security reasons.

2) You can still configure auth on the VCS StarterPack to auth against local Database. At the Manually configured Endpoints, you can enter the credentials.

3) You can configure Bandwith control on VC configuration (subzones or pipes) or limit directly at each endpoint

The SX/MX/EX/C series can register at the StarPack using direct connection (H323/SIP) or behind FW/NAT using H.460.18/19 or Assent. They can Auth at local VCS DB. Be aware that the VCS S is usually installed at an external DMZ or directly with a Public IP. In this case, if you have 2 x SX at internal network and the VCS at the DMZ (with NAT in the middle), all media will go trough the VCS, even if both SX are at the same subnet.

PS: Be carefull where to include the VCS. If you need to use NAT on the VCS, you´ll need Dual network license.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Elter

Guys,

Many thanks...

Elter thanks, very well explained.. Valeu!! obrigado

I would either go the way Starter Pack and no centralized phonebooks or

TMS and at least a standard VCS-E.

Besides that, manual configuration of the amount of endpoints is quite easy,

so that shall not be a show stopper.

I know there are also external services offering phonebooks for endpoints as

a service, so that could also be an option to the starter pack.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Hello Martin,

Thanks for you comments. Why you would go also with standard VCS-E?

My ideia is use VCS-STPACK with dual nic license.

Thanks,

Alan.

The components you need to run provisioning are the VCS and TMS,

so if you plan to anyhow buy TMS (not 100% sure about the costs and the

minimum set of licenses which you can get) I would prefer a proper setup.

Especially the provisioning feature will give you way more options in the

TMS deployment in comparison to the VCS-E-SP deployment.

If you just want to use it without management and you want it simple it

will work fine.

And yes, there is a dua interface option for the VCS-E but you might want

to check upfront if it fits your deployment and the traffic flow you expect.

(like I do not see an internal / external interface model using the VCS-E-SP

deployment) There is at least one thread in the forum around that.

Martin,

According to datasheet yes we can provide a dual nic for VCS-E-SP too..

Optional Features:

• Dual network interfaces

• Additional traversal call license (up to 25 traversal calls)

But I understand your comments, many thanks

Alan.