Views
Helpful
Replies

Questionss...Questions!!

Saurabh Gupta
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Experts,

I have few questions on TMS and Telepresence Content Server... I would appreciate if somebody can take some time out and asnwer them :-

1.Are there any limitations with respect to Encryption of VC Session ? Any other Vendor not supporting Encryption protocols which Cisco supports ? Is there any universal standard which Cisco follows and other vendors support? or Which encryption protocol does Cisco Endpoints uses??

2.Where would the ideal place be to place the TMS Server if Exchange Server is kept in Singapore and other Infratsructure Devices like MSE , VCS are placed in Bangalore? so should TMS be also placed in Bangalore? Assuming endpoints are placed in both countries Singapore and India.

3.Can we block the meeting room/endpoint on a later date (e.g. one month down the line) even if the endpoint is  down today?

4.How does the synchronisation between TMS and Exchange  take place? At a set frequency or immediately upon making a booking?

5.How will the backup and redundancy be taken care of (of the Configuration setup) in case of restoration after a crash of TMS Server.

6.What is the capacity of the Content server Blade in MSE8000?

7.Will a room (like normal audio room) get recognised in TMS and can be booked in TMS  without having an IP address?

I will look forward for the replies on above questions.

Thanks,

Saurabh

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

To answer some of your questions;

3. - Yes you can book if it's down

5. - There are a few ways for backup/redundancy.  The TMS server runs on Windows and uses an SQL database for all it's data, which can either be run locally on the same host or on another shared SQL server.  Backing up the database is the same as backing up any other SQL server, but if you run it locally in VM you can just take a snapshot of the whole machine and restore from that.

7. As long as your VCS can route calls to whatever "room" or external endpoint you want to talk to, you can book it as an  "external" participant.  Just enter the number/E164/H323ID/SIP URI in the "external" tab on the booking.

View solution in original post

Kjetil Ree
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
1.Are there any limitations with respect to Encryption of VC Session ?  Any other Vendor not supporting Encryption protocols which Cisco  supports ? Is there any universal standard which Cisco follows and other  vendors support? or Which encryption protocol does Cisco Endpoints  uses??

I guess the encryption protocols differes from endpoint to endpoint; my Cisco IP Video Phone E20 uses AES.

I'm not sure sure how other vendors support encryption, but for what it is worth: I am not able to encrypt calls between my E20 running TE4.1.1 and a Polycom VSX 7000 running 9.0.6.1.

2.Where  would the ideal place be to place the TMS Server if Exchange Server is  kept in Singapore and other Infratsructure Devices like MSE , VCS are  placed in Bangalore? so should TMS be also placed in Bangalore? Assuming  endpoints are placed in both countries Singapore and India.

You should be fine with TMS in either location; just make sure you use a local database server (TMS in Singapore and database in Bangalore will be sloooow )

3.Can we block the meeting room/endpoint on a later date (e.g. one month down the line) even if the endpoint is  down today?

Yes, you can schedule systems that for some reason are offline.

4.How does the synchronisation between TMS and Exchange  take place? At a set frequency or immediately upon making a booking?

In TMSXE 3.0: Replication is asynchronous. Events come in from Outlook to TMSXE, and after a minute or so, TMS creates a booking from the events it has received. It is then pushed to TMS where TMS checks if the call can be routed, if the endpoints are available etc.

In TMSXE 2.x: Events are pushed to TMS as soon as they are received by TMSXE; the booking will thuis exist in TMS within a sefond or so. This model gives faster feedback to end users, but give some challenges in the back end routing engine. We thus recommend all customers to go for 3.0 if possible.

5.How  will the backup and redundancy be taken care of (of the Configuration  setup) in case of restoration after a crash of TMS Server.

Be sure to back up your TMSng database regularly. If the TMS server crashes, just install TMS on another Windows server and attach the database backup.

Redundancy: We are in the process of rewriting the TMS redundancy documentation. In case you want a high availability scenario: we are going to recommend two TMS servers located behind a Cisco ACE 4710 Application Control Engine acting as a network load balancer.

Not sure.

7.Will a room (like normal audio room) get recognised in TMS and can be booked in TMS  without having an IP address?

Yes, you can add any room to TMS and schedule it.

Regards,

Kjetil

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Saurabh Gupta
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

Could anyone please take some time out and reply..

I would highly appreciate.

Regards,

Saurabh

To answer some of your questions;

3. - Yes you can book if it's down

5. - There are a few ways for backup/redundancy.  The TMS server runs on Windows and uses an SQL database for all it's data, which can either be run locally on the same host or on another shared SQL server.  Backing up the database is the same as backing up any other SQL server, but if you run it locally in VM you can just take a snapshot of the whole machine and restore from that.

7. As long as your VCS can route calls to whatever "room" or external endpoint you want to talk to, you can book it as an  "external" participant.  Just enter the number/E164/H323ID/SIP URI in the "external" tab on the booking.

Kjetil Ree
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
1.Are there any limitations with respect to Encryption of VC Session ?  Any other Vendor not supporting Encryption protocols which Cisco  supports ? Is there any universal standard which Cisco follows and other  vendors support? or Which encryption protocol does Cisco Endpoints  uses??

I guess the encryption protocols differes from endpoint to endpoint; my Cisco IP Video Phone E20 uses AES.

I'm not sure sure how other vendors support encryption, but for what it is worth: I am not able to encrypt calls between my E20 running TE4.1.1 and a Polycom VSX 7000 running 9.0.6.1.

2.Where  would the ideal place be to place the TMS Server if Exchange Server is  kept in Singapore and other Infratsructure Devices like MSE , VCS are  placed in Bangalore? so should TMS be also placed in Bangalore? Assuming  endpoints are placed in both countries Singapore and India.

You should be fine with TMS in either location; just make sure you use a local database server (TMS in Singapore and database in Bangalore will be sloooow )

Yes, you can schedule systems that for some reason are offline.

In TMSXE 3.0: Replication is asynchronous. Events come in from Outlook to TMSXE, and after a minute or so, TMS creates a booking from the events it has received. It is then pushed to TMS where TMS checks if the call can be routed, if the endpoints are available etc.

In TMSXE 2.x: Events are pushed to TMS as soon as they are received by TMSXE; the booking will thuis exist in TMS within a sefond or so. This model gives faster feedback to end users, but give some challenges in the back end routing engine. We thus recommend all customers to go for 3.0 if possible.

5.How  will the backup and redundancy be taken care of (of the Configuration  setup) in case of restoration after a crash of TMS Server.

Be sure to back up your TMSng database regularly. If the TMS server crashes, just install TMS on another Windows server and attach the database backup.

Redundancy: We are in the process of rewriting the TMS redundancy documentation. In case you want a high availability scenario: we are going to recommend two TMS servers located behind a Cisco ACE 4710 Application Control Engine acting as a network load balancer.

Not sure.

Yes, you can add any room to TMS and schedule it.

Regards,

Kjetil

Hi Kjetil,

Thanks for information, I was also looking answer for those queries.

Regards,

Vivek

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Saurabh

Question number 6. I assume you are talking about the IPVCR and not the TCS (Telepresence Content server)?

What model are we talking about?

/Magnus

Thanks Nick and Kjetil for the reply.

Your reply is of outmost help to me.

Hi Magnus,

Yes, I am talking about the VCR 8220 blade on MSE8000.

Regards,

Saurabh

Hi Saurabh,

The capacity of IP VCR 8220 is around 90 GB. You can login to IP VCR.

1. Navigate to Status and Click on Recordings Tab.

2. Here you can see the Free disk space available on IP VCR.

Also, IP VCR supports external storage by the medium of NFS version 3. So recording can be stored externally.

Hope this helps

-Sagar

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps7060/ps11305/ps11318/ps11450/data_sheet_c78-626493.html

Check this link out. Do you mean storage capacity in GB? I dont know if its mentioned there but in that case i will find out tomorrow.

/magnus

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: