cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Registration superseded in VCS Event log

Darren McKinnon
Level 1
Level 1

I have a lot of instances in my VCS Control Event log of Registration Superseded.  In my environment, I have 2 MSE 8420 media blades, and typically this event happens during a call on these cards.  One I'm investigating now had 3 sites connected, when for no apparent reason, it gave this message.  the TMS event log shows a new conference was started at this time, and shows both MCUs were cascaded.

I'm thinking I should be concerned about the excessive amounts of these events.  Is this normal?

Darren

tvcs: Event="

Registration Removed

" Reason="

Registration superseded"

tvcs: Event="

Registration Removed" Reason="

Registration superseded"

5 Replies 5

testeven
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Can you try restarting the MCUs and monitor? Can you please check if the MCU shows unregistered on VCS, but shows registred on the MCU web page? If this is the case you might want to upgrade the VCS.

FYI:

The Registration superseded event is raised in the event logs when a registered device (MCU in your case) does not send a registration refresh in time. Once this alarm is raised

the endpoint /MCU should register again before the registration expires. Registration

superseded is usually only seen if an endpoint/MCU is rebooted or if there is a network issue.

Regards, 

Tere. 

If you find this post helpful, please rate!

Regards, Tere. If you find this post helpful, please rate! :)

I want to make sure I understand your first statement above before doing a reboot tonight.  If I reboot the MCU, I would expect the VCS would show unregistered, or the event log would show the MCU re-registering when it comes back up, but I would also expect that during this test, the MCU would show unregistered on the MCU web page.  Are you saying there could be a problem with my VCS Software (X7.2.2) if the VCS does not show the MCU unregistering and re-regeristering?

Hi,

That's correct, you'll see the MCU unregistered from both VCS and MCU web page if you reboot the MCU. There might be some network issues preventing the MCU from sending the keepalive to VCS. Most likely it is not an issue with the VCS software itself, specially because it is the latest one.

Regards, 

Tere. 

If you find this post helpful, please rate! :)

Regards, Tere. If you find this post helpful, please rate! :)

Tere, it took me a while to try what you suggested, but I just did.  As soon as I told the MCU to shut down, the VCS event log showed it unregistering, and then showed it re-registering moments later.

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

One ground rule, if you do not have a problem it must not be an issue ;-)

I dod not test it in my lab, but just a thought, do you have enabled the registration of conferences in h3232?

As you said you saw this when a new conference started, that would cause the registration

to change as it now carries an additional alias on the same registration.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify