Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Selecting Dialling Protocol on C20/40/60/90 – H323/SIP

I am struggling to select a dialling protocol, on a C-Series codec when placing an ad-hoc call from the remote control or the touch, but from the web interface you can select the speed and the dialling protocol (SIP or H323).

On an Edge 95, you can type in the IP address or URL from the remote, select the speed and if you want to dial SIP/H323 or ISDN, but I can’t find how to do this on a C-Series and it is frustrating to go into advance settings each time and changing it under Default Call Protocol.

Please help?

18 Replies 18

awinter2
Level 7
Level 7

Burgert,

you should be able to force a protocol by prepending the called alias with 'sip:' or 'h323:'.

- Andreas

That does work, but asking a client to do that each time is a mess.

You can’t even save it like that in Favourites for the client to just select and dial it does not work

Burgert,

may I ask why you need/want to force a call to H323 or SIP in the first place?

- Andreas

I have a client that installed a couple of C-Series system on their network that registers with broadsoft SIP registrar, at the same time some of the older polycoms and sony’s are also on their network that can only be dialled via H323 on IP addresses

Hi Burgert,

I believe when you save a contact as Favorites, it would give an option to save the URI. In the URI, you can add h323: or sip: as mentioned by Andreas and the codec would make the call using only that protocol irrespective of what is set as the default.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar.

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

I have tried doing it like that, it does not save as "H323:10.1.135.151" it saves as "10.1.135.151" and when you select it it dial a SIP call

You are right, when you see the favorites, it would not show you the Protocol. I tried the same using my Ex90 using the steps above. My Default Protocol is configured to be SIP. But when I call from favorites, the call goes through as H323.

Do not look for the protocol information, just save the protocol in the URI and save the favorite. Then try to make a call from the favorites and it should work. Let us know if it does not work.

Between on my Ex90 I am using TC 5.1.1. I do not know any behavior which would stop that in the previous versions but in case if you're still not able to call specifically H323 using the steps, you might need to check your software version.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

Attached screenshot for your reference :

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

I understand, but it does not work with IP addresses

Yes Burgert,

You are right. Its not working for IP addresses. I was able to see that the Protocol information is not saved when saving favorites using the IP address.

I will check this and get back to you.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

Hi, I have even tried sending the device a phone book from TMS with a contact that has been saved as a H323 system and IP address, that also does not work.

It only works when you ad-hoc dial and then put in H323:"XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" , nothing ells

PS: I am running TC 5.1.2

even if you change Favorite by adding the E164 @ IP address of codec "H323:1111@10.1.1.1", it does not work.

Will it be best if I create a TAC for this?

Burgert,

I don't think that the C-series codecs will currently allow you to achieve the functionality you are looking for, in which case it would not help much to raise a TAC case.

The best thing to do in that case would be to raise a feature request via your Cisco sales rep.

- Andreas

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: