Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP configuration for SX10

javflogdl
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I just received a cisco telepresence SX10 device which uses SIP protocol only and I have no experience at all with this. Older devices that I have worked with used H323 protocol which is very easy to configure. Looking for some assistance on how to setup the SIP. Your help will be greatly appreciated 

Thank you

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Has the Radvision MCU been setup to support SIP?

View solution in original post

A bit for your understanding. SIP and H323 are protocols to set up a call.

The SX10 can only talk SIP, the EX-Series can talk H323 and SIP.

As said here before, you can set up the EX90 and the SX10 to dial

each other on SIP.

If you have to handle other sites, especially if they also dial or receive

calls via h323 (ip or registered somewhere) A stand alone SX10 is not ideal.

If you have a PBX or Video infrastructure, some only support sip or h323 or both but can not interwork (=translate) in between SIP and H323.

The Cisco VCS is doing a great job here, also if you need something for

Firewall traversal (that might be an other challenge you face).

Btw, if you place a SIP device on a public IP there is a higher chance that you get hit by annoying fake/scan calls.

Ask your Cisco Partner to help you with finding a nice solution. Maybe going one step back to see what you have, what you require is a good idea here.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

For sip you need to configure the following under sip profile

1. sip uri...This is usually the extension of your sx10 ex..5000@yourdomain.com

2.Display name: used for identifying this device when making a call

3.Authentication: login name and password if you have one set up on your vcs

4. Default Transport: TCP/UDP/TLS..Change this to whatever protocol you are using on your proxy (VCS)

5. Outbound..You can enable your sx10 to use multiple connection to your proxy servers by specifying the proxy addresses here. or You can turn this off and use the proxy option to configure which proxy servers you want your device to connect to

These are the basic that should get your device to register on your proxy server. Check more details here..

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/endpoint/sx-series/tc7/administration-guide/sx10-administrator-guide-tc71.pdf

Please rate all useful posts

@ Ayodeji Okanlawon

Hi  ,

I have similar scenario, I would like to have your help for some clarification.

I have two SX10 , each in two different geo-locations. As you know SX10 supports only SIP.But We do not have CUCM or VCS. Attached is my Topology.

Is it possible that i can make IP to IP Video Calls (Public IP)  between these two endpoints ?

I read from some other threads that it should work with sip in format of prefix@public-ip ,  even with out any sip-registrar like CUCM and VCS.

You comments regarding this Will be Appreciated.Attached my topology

Hello,

were you able to make calls from your SX10 devices?

I can make calls from SX10 to an EX60 using the SIP protocol but If I put it behind firewall is not working for me.

Regards

Dear Ayodeji,
My name is Pedro and I read your posting about connecting two cisco sx10 directly without CUCM, VCS, etc.
I bought one sx10 and I only have an internet connection with a fixed public ip address. I want to connect the sx10 to a normal household router and nothing else to connect to an sx20 in my head office...
Did you make your sx10 to sx10 connection work without anything else?
I am new to VC systems and would like to humbly ask for your advice on how to setup the sx10 to be able to call my sx20 calling its ip address.
Many thanks,

Pedro Muniz

If you're running CE8.2 and later, you can configure them as a standalone endpoint using H323, take a look at Vivek's reply in sx20-standalone

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for your help. And thanks to Vivek too.

I will try this first thing when I arrive at the office.

Will post the outcome afterwards.

Regards,

Pedro

Chris Swinney
Level 5
Level 5

Are you using it to connect to a Registrar such as the VCS, or just stand-alone?

Cheers

Chris

Yes, as Chris asked, the type of deployment is always which should be mentioned.

Like is a call control used and which type

How does the network look like

What do you want to call and want to be called up from.

Thank you all for your replies.

I'm using the Telepresence SX10 as a stand alone VTC. I just have my internet connection, nothing else :(( 

I have a Telepresence EX60 device which uses H323 and it works fine but this new device works with SIP only.

So what are you looking to do - just get the EX and SX talking with each other, or accept inbound calls for other parties?

If you want to get the EX and SX talking, you will need to enable SIP on the EX. SIP dials using a URI format (i.e. user@domain), but the domain can be an IP address of the device. Dialling an IP and forcing it to use SIP rather than H.323 should work.

If you are setting it up to allow inbound calls, then realistic its not that different to what you have done for H.323. I assume you have NAT'ed and port forwarded this so that a Public IP address point to the private IP of the device?

Cheers

Chris

I'm using it to allow outbound calls no need to allow inbound calls.

I'm connection to a Radvision (Avaya) system by IP for videoconferences but I have not been able to accomplished this.

Has the Radvision MCU been setup to support SIP?

I will ask to my coworker to confirm this. I was expecting to connect via IP without re-configuring anything at host VTC.

It was very simple with H323 but this SIP protocol is a completely different story... wondering why cisco removed the H323 functionality from the SX10.

Regards

A bit for your understanding. SIP and H323 are protocols to set up a call.

The SX10 can only talk SIP, the EX-Series can talk H323 and SIP.

As said here before, you can set up the EX90 and the SX10 to dial

each other on SIP.

If you have to handle other sites, especially if they also dial or receive

calls via h323 (ip or registered somewhere) A stand alone SX10 is not ideal.

If you have a PBX or Video infrastructure, some only support sip or h323 or both but can not interwork (=translate) in between SIP and H323.

The Cisco VCS is doing a great job here, also if you need something for

Firewall traversal (that might be an other challenge you face).

Btw, if you place a SIP device on a public IP there is a higher chance that you get hit by annoying fake/scan calls.

Ask your Cisco Partner to help you with finding a nice solution. Maybe going one step back to see what you have, what you require is a good idea here.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: