Views
Helpful
Replies

SRV RECORDS FOR MXP 1700 AND EX90

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Guys,

Does anyone know where the srv records the codec receives from DNS server is stored in its configuration?

Please rate all useful posts

"The essence of christianity is not the enthronement but the obliteration of self --William Barclay"       

6 Replies 6

asafayan
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Ayodeji,

Hope you are well. I'm not working today as my son managed to pass on his cold to me. 

I don't have an answer to your question but I have access to my VCS and an EX60.  Assuming you don't have the platform access you need at your disposal, I would be more than willing to get on a Webex and get whatever information may be of help to you. 

Also, you  had recently posted some questions about the SIP codec negotiation that you were trying to understand. I have access to the following video endpoint models that I would be happy to work with you and make test calls and gather logs to contrast to what you were confused about in the previous post:

SX20

MX300

Edge90

EX60

I'm live in Colorado Springs, Co and we are in MST.

Let me know.

Amir

Amir,

Thanks a lot for the offer. I do have access to platforms and a few codecs, however I wouldnt mind getting clarification on bandwidths used during a call..So let me know when its a good time for you and I will be happy to join your webex

"The essence of christianity is not the enthronement but the obliteration of self --William Barclay"

Hi Deji,

I just sent you an PM.  Check it to discuss coordinating a Webex.

Thanks,

Amir

Thanks..I have replied.

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Actually I do not get your question.

You will find the sip and h323 servers in the configuration. This can be an IP or a hostname.

If its a hostname a DNS lookup will be done, but the result will not be stored in the configuration.

You will see the currently used addresses in the status of the endpoint as well as you will find

more info on what happened during the lookup in the logs of the endpoint.

For more verbose info you can also enable debugging. Please check out the endpoint troubleshooting

guide which you can find here in the document section.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Martin,

Thanks for the reply. I have found the answer my self by looking at the end points debug. What I wanted to know was when the primary proxy/gatekeeper fails how does the endpoint know which server to fail over to. I found out that it does a new SRV query to find a new proxy address..

While investigating this, I discovered that the EX90 doesnt behave as it should when its primary server is down. It takes forever to re-register. The logs show that when the primary proxy is down, it does a new SRV query, however it still tries to register back to the failed proxy. It does this atleast 3 or 4 times before finally using the backup VCS. There is a bug documented for this behaviour but this was only supposed to be on TC6.0, I am running TC6.2, that suggests that this bug has not been fixed yet. I also observed that when I swicth my transport protocol to UDP, this doesnt happen. The failover is instant, its only when I am using TCP that I see this issue. In some cases the EX90 doesnt even attemtp to re-register at all for the whole durationwhen the failed VCS is offline..Very bizare.

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuc89556