Views
Helpful
Replies

SX10 Audio Output via External active speakers, VGA mini jack 3.5 mm

jeremy smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We've got an SX10 that works fine in testing connected via HDMI cable to a TV, but we'd like to have all codec audio output go to a pair of external speakers.  We have tried

A. using a few different HDMI de-embedder devices to strip the audio from the HDMI connection, with the output on those connected to some speakers

B. using the "External active speakers, mini jack 3.5 mm plug" into a small amp with connecting celing grid loudspeakers

Either way, the ONLY audio that passes to the speakers are the 'Incoming Call Ring Tone' but we cannot hear the remote site audio. By using just the HDMI cable by itself to a TV, we can hear the remote site audio through the TV.

Is there something we're missing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I just tested your issue here, and I heard all audio through the 3.5mm output, I used an HDMI-DVI cable so that the audio wouldn't pass to the TV through the DVI connector.  However, if I used a straight HDMI cable instead of an HDMI-DVI cable, all audio passed through both the HDMI cable and 3.5mm output.

No configuration was done on the SX10, the configuration of audio settings is still factory default.

I don't have a de-embedder to test with so I couldn't verify that for you.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

When using HDMI you will run into HDCP. To get the external audio, use the audio out of the television and route it to the amp, this should work, if not you might have to enable the external audio on the television.

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I just tested your issue here, and I heard all audio through the 3.5mm output, I used an HDMI-DVI cable so that the audio wouldn't pass to the TV through the DVI connector.  However, if I used a straight HDMI cable instead of an HDMI-DVI cable, all audio passed through both the HDMI cable and 3.5mm output.

No configuration was done on the SX10, the configuration of audio settings is still factory default.

I don't have a de-embedder to test with so I couldn't verify that for you.

jeremy smith
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all for your help.  I tested choice B. from my initial topic using a standalone  powered speaker and it worked fine.  The person who had installed the amp+speakers had wired them wrong.  It's been fixed and everything works great.