cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SX20 Codec Reset

thomas.sudbrink
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to reset an SX20 codec but I cannot seem to do so.

Starting with the system on, I hold down the power button until the unit shuts down.

I release the power button.

I press and hold down the power button again, but nothing ever happens.

My understanding is that after ten seconds the power button is supposed to start blinking, then I should hit the power button twice quickly in order to reset and reboot the unit.

I have also tried powering down the unit and then continuing to hold the power button after the unit turns off but that doesn't work either.

For security reasons and I cannot connect other equipment to the unit. Is there some other reset process I can try? A password and incorrect IP information were entered at some point and nobody seems to know what PW was used. The box is useless until I can get into it.

Thanks for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

How long did you press and hold the power button when the SX80 is turned off, you should hold it down for at least 10 seconds, afterward the power LED should begin to blink.  Here is a video on how to Factory Reset the SX80 using the power button.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

How long did you press and hold the power button when the SX80 is turned off, you should hold it down for at least 10 seconds, afterward the power LED should begin to blink.  Here is a video on how to Factory Reset the SX80 using the power button.

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

What Patrick is saying is correct for the SX80, but I believe you are asking for the SX20. Your assumption is correct, however there was a known bug recently causing the LED never to light up and blink as you would expect from the normal procedure. This was caused by a bug in the software, which is fixed in TC7.3.5.

I guess it does not help you much as you need to reset it now. But do not worry, the factory reset procedure is not broken, you just have to do it blind-folded. Do as you did, power down the unit, release and press the power button for 10 seconds. Count the seconds either for your self or with a stop watch and when you reach 10-11 seconds press the power button twice. 

There was a previous post about this earlier.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12723316/sx20-factory-reset-issue

I just assume you are hitting this issue as the symptoms is matching pretty well. I don´t know which software version you are on.

/Magnus

Good catch Mangus, I didn't even notice, too many products with similar naming convention. On the bright side, I suppose it's a good thing that the factory reset procedure is identical between the SX20 and SX80. :)

Indeed Patrick, I get blind sometimes as well :)

Keep up the good work you are doing in this forum!

/Magnus

Thank you! I will give that a try and let you know. For some reason I did not get a notice that you had responded to my question.

Hi

I have a SX20 and have attempted to complete the factory reset.  I have powered off the system, pressed the power button for 10 seconds, the ring blinks on, I press the power button twice and a couple of minutes later the system comes back but the rs-232 login username: admin password "" does not work as it did before.

The problem started when I tried to start a service that I did not have access to and the sx20 is now a brick.

please help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: