cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TANDBERG 1700MXP SW Version F6.3 reboots in Codian MCU

Rachael Mast
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having issues with a few TANDBERG systems with software version F6.3 (6000 MXP, 1700MXP, etc) that constantly reboot when they dial into my Codian MCU 4510 SW Version 4.4(3.42).  I know a software upgrade to F9.X will fix the issue, but a lot of the systems are not under service contract and therefore cannot receive the release key. I haven't seen any other posts about this issue.  Has anyone else seen this and know a work-around?

18 Replies 18

Patrick Pettit
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Id have to go find it but the was a vulnerability in pre F9 software which may give you the upgrade for free to F9.x software to address that. You may need to call tac to get keys but you can mention it to get the upgrade keys. You can search for it here or on security page. I'll see if I can dig it up when I'm back in the office if someone doesn't respond before then.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Patrick, you could be a life saver!  I just did a search for tandberg and vulnerabilities.  Is this the one you're talking about:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/csa/cisco-sa-20110831-tandberg.html ?

That looks like the one right there.  You can probably call to open a support case indicating you want to address this vulnerability, so I'm hoping they will cut you some keys for upgrade.  Have your SN's handy so it can move rather quickly for ya. 

Good luck!

VR

Patrick

You might have to state that under the advisory you're entitled to the free software/release keys.  I know when I submitted for release keys and directed the licensing team to the advisory, I had to express several times, it's a free software upgrade.. read the advisory and you'll know what I'm talking about.  Sometimes they just go by the serial numbers, and when they come back with no contract etc, they don't realize, oh I'm entitled to the software per the advisory.  I don't know who I got, but I had to go back and forth up to 3 emails back-to-back to get them to understand. 

Patrick,

That's funny you mention that.  That is exactly what I am currently dealing with.  I don't believe Cisco is used to the idea that we need release keys to upgrade software.  I felt a little like a broken record on the phone, but I think he finally understood, but now I have to restate the same information over e-mail.  I was just sent the release key for F6.3, which obviously, would be no use to me.  I'm sure all these kinks will get ironed out one day.  At least with the new Cisco systems, we don't need release keys to upgrade starting with version TC7.

Very true, I was a broken record as well, after several times over and over saying the same things they finally read the advisory and realzied, oh he is right.

There is even an advisory for TC software versions prior to TC6.1 (which also includes TE software for the E20 prior to TE4.1.3), and for the VCS software versions prior to X8.1 as well.

http://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-20130619-tpc

http://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-20140122-vcs

What's funny is if you use the TC advisory to get to TC6.1, you don't need release keys anymore once there, but you still need a valid service contract.

Also, once you get the release keys for F9.1, you can simply go go F9.3, the last software release of that series.  That way you're all set, what I did since minor releases don't require new release keys.

I agree with the broken record thing... it all depends on which TAC person picks up the job... some flatly refuse to give you the key without an active service contract (even though it's stated otherwise in the Security Advisory), and others give it first go... but it's more often than not, been somewhere inbetween, where they refuse at first, but give it to you when pushed.

As Patrick has indicated above, once you've got that F9.1 key installed, you can go to the latest (and possibly last) version (F9.3.1).

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Good morning Rachael,

My name is Yanick Sauro and I'm one of Cisco Situation Managers, I would like help you with your release key request. When you have a minute could you send me the service request number that was opened with Cisco TAC - Licensing please? You can reach me at: yanisaur@cisco.com.

Thank you,

Yanick Sauro

Hi Yanick,

The TAC case has been resolved and I was able to obtain the release key for SW Version 9 (case number

629090243).

Thank you to all the other responses.  I did know about the other vulnerabilities that were posted and we were able to get upgraded.  Military environments make the upgrade process quite interesting!

V/R

Rachael Mast

Glad to hear it was resolved, Thank you for providing the Service Request Number, I will follow-up with my Licensing counterpart to better understand why the process didnt worked properly.

Have a nice day,

Yanick

Hi Yanick,

If you want a service request that failed to obtain an upgrade key (although it was for the TC6.1 software for a different model codec), with discussions spanning almost a week - have a look at SR 626538203.

About 5 minutes after that case was closed I logged another job (SR 626718835) for the exact same device, whcih was picked up by a different Cisco GLO Team member, and I had the licence key provided the same day (although, the initial response was the usual "you need an active service contract").

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Thank you Wayne for the additionnal example,  I just reviewed SR: 626538203 and indeed the Licensing agent should have provided you with a release key just by reading the Security Advisory.

I will follow-up with our Global Licensing Organisation Manager this morning.

Have a nice day,

Yanick

Good morning Wayne & Rachael,

Closing the loop on this, my follow-up with the Global Licensing Organisation is completed, please find below the action the team has taken (lesson Learned) to prevent such issues in the future:

Case 626538203:

The security vulnerability link was provided by the customer but the agent denied the request multiple times. The update for special handling of these cases has already been posted on the agent corner and the manager also sent an e-mail blast regarding this. This was clearly a miss from the agent. The Manager will endorse a coaching session to the agent¹s team lead in order to correct this.

Case 629090243:

The agent recognized the security advisory but failed to provide the correct keys the first time he sent it. He then sent the correct keys 3 hours later. There¹s not much of a miss from the agent here except that he forgot to select the correct version when he sent the first set of keys.

It seems it was not clear for the agents on how to handle security vulnerabilities. The Manager will go ahead and conduct a cascade for each team so that it will be clear to the agents on how to handle these issues.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns,

Have a nice day,

Yanick Sauro