Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tandberg/Cisco Telepresence Wireless

Hi Folks

Tandberg used to ship units with wireless capability then stopped. Cisco do not produce units with wireless capability with their Telepresence devices. We are muddling along with gaming adapters used to connect to wireless in an enterprise environment. The gaming adapter by its very nature (probably grabbing the first AP it sees) attaches to an AP with the configured SSID available. In the enterprise we have many AP's advetising out VC SSID. It connects to any one it can get no matter how bad the signal and ignoring better AP's.

Can anyone advise on the usage of wireless for VC. Are we not supposed to use it on wireless as this is not available on the VC devices. I feel we are running round in circles trying to provide a wireless VC service that possibly the vendors do not advise to use as they do not supply ths feature.

Many thanks in advance.

Kevin.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bronze

Hi Kevin,

Your interpretation is probably correct when you’re talking about the wireless functionality on office/meeting systems.
I’m not sure how Cisco will plan this strategy for the future, but I would guess you will see wireless as a function again on these systems, sometime in the future (when the wireless networks gets more solid, like e.g. 802.11ac).

There are non-official solutions out there to make wireless work on endpoints, like wireless adapters, switches and routers, as you use.

But, Cisco will soon be releasing a new application for the UC segment. The Jabber for Telepresence (will be able to register on VCS, CUCM and WebEx). This application will initially be supported on an iPad, both with wireless and mobile data networks available. More information will come this summer.

So to sum up, I would think that the static systems (office/room/meeting) will continue to not support wireless for a while, and that the UC/handheld devices, such as tablets, smart phones, PC applications and so forth are fully wireless supported.

Best regards,

Arne

4 REPLIES
Bronze

Hi Kevin,

Your interpretation is probably correct when you’re talking about the wireless functionality on office/meeting systems.
I’m not sure how Cisco will plan this strategy for the future, but I would guess you will see wireless as a function again on these systems, sometime in the future (when the wireless networks gets more solid, like e.g. 802.11ac).

There are non-official solutions out there to make wireless work on endpoints, like wireless adapters, switches and routers, as you use.

But, Cisco will soon be releasing a new application for the UC segment. The Jabber for Telepresence (will be able to register on VCS, CUCM and WebEx). This application will initially be supported on an iPad, both with wireless and mobile data networks available. More information will come this summer.

So to sum up, I would think that the static systems (office/room/meeting) will continue to not support wireless for a while, and that the UC/handheld devices, such as tablets, smart phones, PC applications and so forth are fully wireless supported.

Best regards,

Arne

Hi There I do apologise about

Hi There

I do apologise about the age of this post but I was hoping that someone might see me bringing this back to life 3 years later.

I'm just curious if there is still the same opinion as above from Arne regarding the use of VC units over wireless. There have been al lot of advances in wireless over the last few years especially with 802.11ac wave 2 now available.

Unfortunately we only have 802.11n capable wireless access points at the moment. We still understandably get requests to use out VC units wirelessly. We have more recent Cisco units now such as the SX20 that do not have a wireless feature.

Do Cisco have an opinion on the use of wireless for VC? We have tried and failed with various wireless client adapters to make wireless VC work but it's just not reliable enough. This includes a test area where we know there is no interference over a local LAN.

I'm just curious as to your opinions on this. I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks

Kevin

Bronze

Hi Kevin,

But, Cisco is soon releasing a new application for the UC segment. The Jabber for Telepresence (will be able to register on VCS, CUCM and WebEx). This application will initially be supported on an iPad, both with wireless and mobile data networks available. More information will come this summer.

Best regards,

Arne

Hi Arne

Many thanks for your reply, appreciated!

Regards

Kevin

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content