cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Telepresence install and setup exam 642-188

dwilk2008
Level 1
Level 1

hello I have recently taken the Cisco 642-188 exam three time in 3 weeks and have failed.

This exam has alot of errors. The questions sometimes ask about telepresence in general but the answers are model specific. Also there has been question with the exact same answers in the pool of answers. For instance one question was for 2 of the best answers and one of the best answers was duplicated twice in the answer pool word for word. So How do you pick the right answer? I know this is a new exam but someone needs to go over it with a fine tooth comb. I feel I could have passed it if the test was written correctly.  I feel know there were about 20 questions that needed to be re-written. Has anyone else seen this problem?

22 Replies 22

trunyan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I highly recommend anyone considering either of these test should study the SRND and the install/admin guides for the TelePresence products that are covered by the test. 

Have you taken this exam trunyan?  It is utterly ridiculous, and it hasn't changed.  You can study the SRND and PEC trainings and get quite a few things correct, but there are still questions referencing out-of-date 1.5 and 1.6 technology, much less the questions that are actually either worded wrongly or literally have incorrect "correct" answers.

Nick,

When test are written they are based upon the current software and hardware releases at that time.  Over time the test are updated but it is difficult to keep the test up to date with the most recent releases of software and hardware. This is why it is important to know what software versions and products are being used for the test.   It may not be a perfect solution but it is not a unique issue to this specific test.   I was one of many Subject Matter Experts who helped create the 185 and 188 test.  I have taken enough Cisco certs over the years to know that I am not a fan of multiple right answers nor do I like questions that play word games to confuse people.  I do believe that questions asked about a specific product could include incorrect answers that would be correct for the same question on another product.   For example a question on a CTS1300 might include an answer that would be correct if asked specifically about a CTS1000 but since the question is on the CTS1300 the answer is incorrect.  As a candidate I believe you should know what is unique to a specific product and product lines.  When studying for these exams understand what is common to all products and then review what is unique - especially when it comes to installation and set up.  By unique I do not mean study how many holes are in the bracket on one product versus another but rather how is the setup and configuration unique to the CTS1300 versus a CTS1000 for example.  The comments left on the exam have been reviewed, changes have been made, we are listening and attempting to address the candidates concerns.  For the record I have not taken either exam because as a SME and reviewer of many of the questions I have a much greater advantage than the typical candidate of passing.   

Tom

Hi Tom,

I appreciate your reply, but let me be blunt - you SHOULD take this exam.  Alternately, and perhaps even better, you also seem to be the sort of person who could access the test question pool and the answer key and could therefore really know.   Then you will have an idea what we have all been saying.

Your points are certainly valid and noted, and for many "tricky" questions they certainly are true.  I, nor others who have commented, do not mean to imply the entire test is wrong, but there are a significant number of questions that are highly "suspicious".  We cannot tell from the simple metrics at the bottom of the printouts what exactly we got wrong on the test, but you can certainly make a guess based on the questions.

NPM

epicolo
Level 3
Level 3

I read a post from a Cisco guy that some changes was made in TelePresence Exams, beggining in July/11.

Maybe theyre better now.

They claim, that they have revised 13% of all questions in that test from July 5th. on.

I can assure you, that they have made many new errors in the existing questions and this is very confusing. 

We really wonder who does release such material into the testing.

I've just taken the 642-185 equivalent of this exam and I must say thats it has improved a lot (yes, I passed).

All the errors I noticed the previous try were re-written and the exam is now much better.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I'm glad they've finally sorted this exam, it took me 4 attempts, the questions were really bad!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: