cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS Exchange 3.0.1 & TMS 13.2 Cisco TMS Server is not responding. Halting.

Paul Woelfel
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I've recently upgraded to TMS 13.2 and installed TMS Exchange 3.0.1. Installation and Configuration worked fine, but no events are synched to TMS. If I look at the log file I see the following line:

Cisco TMS Server is not responding. Halting.

It seems like TMS Exchange is not able to communicate with TMS. Setup worked fine, and the TMS user is Super Administrator, so I don't think thats a permission issue.

I've attached the tms exchange log with Debug Level set.

Any ideas?

Regards, Paul
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey

Are you using HTTPS or HTTP to communicate to the TMS server through the TMSXE service?

Also I would look in the Windows event logs to see if there was anything interesting there. Specially check the application + TMSXE event logs. I don´t want you to attach them here (that is for TAC) but if you can see something that might be related to the issue, please let us know. 

Otherwise I would recommend you to get help from TAC on this as that is more suitable for deeper troubleshooting.

/Magnus

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey

Are you using HTTPS or HTTP to communicate to the TMS server through the TMSXE service?

Also I would look in the Windows event logs to see if there was anything interesting there. Specially check the application + TMSXE event logs. I don´t want you to attach them here (that is for TAC) but if you can see something that might be related to the issue, please let us know. 

Otherwise I would recommend you to get help from TAC on this as that is more suitable for deeper troubleshooting.

/Magnus

Hi Magnus,

i tried HTTPS and HTTP, same result. I looked at the eventviewer and noticed a warnining, which is also present in the logfile:

2012-05-10 09:17:37,388 [Startup] WARN  ErrorCentral - TMS connection interrupted.

2012-05-10 09:17:37,403 [Startup] WARN  TMSXEApp`2 - Starting up with TMS connection down.

I changed the connection to HTTP, so I can see the packets what is going wrong. And now the weird thing: no packets are sent to TMS?!? WTF?

I've also tried a clean install of TMS 3.0 on another server, same issue. If I run the TMSXE Configuration Wizard authentication and fetching of all endpoints work fine. If the service is started no packets are sent to TMS.

I think, I'll open a TAC case.

Regards, Paul

Any change in the DNS setup? Did you try to connect to the TMS from the server running the TMSXE? (IE / Firefox)

As you said no packages, I assume you already tried a network tracing tool like wireshark.

Besides that, a local firewall which might stop the traffic?

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Hi Martin,

yes indeed changes in the DNS because TMS 13.2 is a new Server, which took over the IP from the old one, but with a new name. To cross that issue out, I'm currently using the IP address, so DNS shouldn't be the issue.

No Firewall is between the TMS and TMSXE Server. I'd like to set up TMSXE on TMS, because this is only a small deployment. Yes, I know this is not recomended, so I even tried to install TMSXE on another new W2k8r2 64bit VM.

Connection is working fine to TMS, otherwise configuration would fail. I've traced with Wireshark and TMSXE connects to TMS and reads all registered Systems and the Navigator Tree. So basicly TMSXE knows how to talk to TMS, but it simply isn't doing it for whatever reason.

I've looked into more detail in the wireshark traces and found following response from TMS:

HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error

Cache-Control: private

Content-Type: text/xml; charset=utf-8

Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.5

X-AspNet-Version: 4.0.30319

Persistent-Auth: true

X-Powered-By: ASP.NET

Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 12:23:35 GMT

Content-Length: 569

http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">soap:ClientYou cannot book a conference in the past.http://TMSIP/tms/external/booking/BookingService.asmxhttp://tandberg.net/2004/02/tms/external/exception/">-2147218269

It seems like TMSXE is trying to create a booking, which is in the past. This should not stop TMSXE from working...

Regards, Paul

Hallo Paul!

I would check that the TMS local hostname settings reflect the DNS entries on the Server and

that you use these DNS records on systems which need to connect to it.

Also check that the reverse entries are correct, there are more points where DNS can lock something

up so its not a bad idea to clean that up anyhow :-)

Can you check that all your boxes use the same NTP server and that the time is in sync?

I do not like 500 internal server errors on black boxes :-)

Did you look at the TMS/IIS logfiles if you can see something more specific about that error?

(but in general its quite self explaining).

But what happens if you try now to book a new conference, is the 500 error the dead signal for starting up the process?

Can you remove the old booking somehow?

Besides that: as Magnus and you said yourself: open a tac case

Would be great if you could give a feedback how you fixed it at the end!

Paul would you also be so kind and rate the answers by Magnus and me by the stars below the messages.

Good success!

Martin

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Hi Magnus & Martin!

I opened a TAC case, because of another issue and I got a really good TAC engineer ;-)

TMS was running on a W2k8r2 64bit, but a german version. I've now reinstalled TMS on an W2k8r2 with an english ISO and now everything is working like a charm!

On page 6 it's in the TMS Install Guide:

The server operating system must be English, Japanese, or Chinese.   

Thanks Mangus for your help!

Regards, Paul

Hi

Good to hear!

/Magnus

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: