Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS - Problem with recurrence scheduling page

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi folks,

One of our customers is facing a problem with their TMS. They have a new TMS server version 14.3 installed on a standard Windows Server 2008. When any user tries to schedule conference using the recurrence options, when they click in the calendar to go to the next month, TMS shows a error message. See:

TMS recurrence problem.png

TMS recurrence problem 2.png

The recurrence scheduling works even with this error message, but the users are unable to check the calendar for the next months to confirm if they have selected to correct dates.

Has anybody seen this issue before? I didn't try another version of TMS yet, so I am not sure if this issue occurs in previous versions.

Thanks in advance.

Paulo Souza

Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".       

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Dale,

After many attempts, I guess I have figured out the issue and found a workaround for the problem. And I guess I have discovered a new bug. =)

All the users in TMS are using timezone GMT -3 Brasilia (which is the main timezone in Brazil). If i change the GMT to any another time set, including others with the same time set -3, as GMT -3 Salvador (Brazil as well), so the recurrence options work just fine, I dont have any issue. If I return to GMT -3 Brasilia, then the problem occurs again.

Really strange... But at least I have a workaround. Can you try replicate my issue in your lab just to see what you get?

Thanks for your assistance, I really appreciate it.

I have opened TAC case 627604513, but there is no engineer working on it for now.

Paulo Souza
Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

daleritc
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Paulo,

Working for me and even changed my user language to Portuguese and Portuguese (Brazil) and used the same exact pattern. Tested in both IE9 and latest FF.

Assume your doing this from a PC or laptop? Latest Java installed to the PC and laptop? What browser are you using? Same behaviour on another PC or laptop? Same behaviour when doing directly on the TMS server?

Do the TMS logs provide any clues, in particular the log web?

Hi Dale, thanks for assistance!  =)

I tested from my laptop and from another PCs of the customer, also tried another browser. All they having the same issue.

My laptop:

Windows 7 Professional 7 SP1

IE 9.0.8112.16421

Crhome Versão 29.0.1547.76

Java 7.0.4000 (jus downloaded the latest version)

PCs of the customer:

Windows XP SP 3

IE 7.0.5730.13

java 6 update 22

I wasn't able to try from the TMS Server, because I don't RDP permission on this server, because the customer has many security policies. Therefore I wasn't able to get any log as well. Now I am trying to get access to the Windows Server, I will try your suggestin as soon as I get access. I am very busy this week, it will be hard to spend time troubleshooting the issue, I will probably have to open a TAC case. Are you member of TAC team?

Any other suggestion?

Paulo Souza

Update:

The most strange behavior is, yesterday I was facing the issue exactly like I descirbed above. But today, testing from my laptop again, the error message appears right before I choose the recurrence interval. For example, when popup windows comes up, I select Monthly for recurrence interval parameter and then I receive the same error message. So I am not even able to schedule recurrence at all for now.

Really strange...

Paulo Souza

Hi Dale,

After many attempts, I guess I have figured out the issue and found a workaround for the problem. And I guess I have discovered a new bug. =)

All the users in TMS are using timezone GMT -3 Brasilia (which is the main timezone in Brazil). If i change the GMT to any another time set, including others with the same time set -3, as GMT -3 Salvador (Brazil as well), so the recurrence options work just fine, I dont have any issue. If I return to GMT -3 Brasilia, then the problem occurs again.

Really strange... But at least I have a workaround. Can you try replicate my issue in your lab just to see what you get?

Thanks for your assistance, I really appreciate it.

I have opened TAC case 627604513, but there is no engineer working on it for now.

Paulo Souza

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi Paulo,

I can reproduce it

I'll open a bug on it and get the reference back to you so that you can tell the TAC to reference this bug in the SR.

rgds,

Dale

Hi Dale,

Thank you very much for you assistance, I really appreciate it.

Awaiting for the bug ID. Thanks.

Paulo Souza

Hi Dale,

I need further assistance from you regarding the workaround I am using. Can you inform what is the summer time difference on TMS for these two timezones:

GMT -3 Brasilia

GMT -3 Salvador

I am sure they are different, but I need to know whether TMS considers that difference or not. Also, if TMS will change the timeset (-3) during the summer time, what will the impact for my scheduled conferences? Will the already scheduled conferences be changed or will only the new scheduled conferences have a wrong time?

Can you give me further tips regarding the impact of the workaround?

Thanks in advance.

Paulo Souza

It's DST (Daylight Saving Time) your thinking about and yes, that's going to be a problem with this work around...meaning UTC -3 (Brasilia) recognizes DST while UTC -3 (Salvador) does not. And I've checked the other UTC -3 Time Zones in TMS and some do recognize DST but on different dates than Brazil, so that doesn't help you.

However, let me talk this out internally tomorrow with a few folks...meaning what I'm thinking about is that you can/could still utilize the UTC -3 (Salvador) TZ but not book anything past the Brazil DST change date...which is 20 Oct (forward one hour). So for example, you shouldn't book any reoccurrences past the 20 Oct date. If you need to, then you create two seperate bookings, i.e. one before and one after the DST change date. Once the DST shifts...which will include the TMS server itself...then you should be okay. However, let me clarify my theories tomorrow with a few other folks and I'll come back to you and confirm if this work around is sound. As you may or may not know, TMS as had some major changes beginning  in 14.2 when it comes to DST, so I just need to clarify my ideas here.

The only other alternative is to provide a fix before 20 Oct but that's going to be tight and depends on the nature of the fix. I can't imagine its difficult but you never know. However, let me talk that out tomorrow as well.

Dale

Hi Dale,

Thanks for your assistance. I will be awaiting for your comments.

From what you have described, can I conclude that TMS 14.2 and above may hit this bug? What about old versions?

I am thinking about another of our customers that are planing to upgrade to 14 version, most of them are still using version 13, fortunatelly. As those customers have not reported this issue to our telepresence team, I guess this bug does not affect version 13, at least.

Thanks

Paulo Souza

No, not in 13 and I didn't test on 14.2 but I can do that tomorrow as well...just to see if this was a regression in 14.3. However, and even if this wasn't in 14.2 and as your at 14.3, you can't unfortunately back up to 14.2 (e.g. if you had a back up from 14.2) since you'd lose all the data in between.

Stay tuned...

Dale

Yeah! I wouldn't be able to roll back to 14.2 anyway, because I have Conductor XC2.2 + TP Server 3.1.

In addition, I just tested using a TMS version 14.2.2 and I got exactly the same error message.

As our company supports most of the Cisco telepresence customers in Brazil, I have visibility of most environments with TMS. Actually, we have projetcts going on related to upgrade some TMS servers, then we will need to put this activities on hold until we get a solution from Cisco, mainly because DST changing is near.

Thanks

Paulo Souza

Hi Paulo,

The bug number is CSCuj60215 and there is probably no chance that we can provide a fix before the Brazil DST shift, i.e. 20 Oct. The crux of the problem is that Brazil is one of the few time zones where the DST rules kick in at midnight exactly.

The first work around is how I explained earlier. Your users can remain using UTC -3 (Salvador) but not book any reoccurrence meetings beyond the DST shift on 20 Oct.

However, if you already have existing bookings that past the DST shift, then you could use the ConferenceTimeZoneMigration tool to identify bookings beyond the DST shift and then move the bookings in Brasilia TZ within the tool. However, this will only display the conf correctly but not actually shift it by one hour..in this case forward. Therefore, you'd manually have to do that on those future conferences...and keep in mind this is for future conferences so there would time to do this before the conference actually starts. Alternatively, you can alway delete the conferences and re-book after the DST shift but if MCUs are involved, that would or could mean new numbers, etc.

We're looking at some other work around ideas but these may be too risky. I'll keep you abreast.

rgds,

Dale

Hi Dale,

Thank you very much for your efforts on this issue. I really appreciate it.

We already have scheduled conferences that past DST shift. And this is bringing many issues for us, because when the users search the conferences using the "List Conference" page, the conference whose date is after DST shift, the start time is shown with one hour of difference. That causes much confusion for the users.

Therefore, in this moment we are discussing the possibility of bring all the users back to the GMT -3 Brasilia and then give instructions to the users to manually create recurrence scheduling. We are probably going to use this option as workaround.

I have only one doubt. As we already have scheduled conferences that past DST shift, you are saying that I can use the ConferenceTimeZoneMigration tool to change the time from Salvador to Brasilia, but this is only for display purposes, so I will have to manually change the time for the conferences. Is that right? If yes, as you are saying, I guess I have a misunderstanding on how TMS stores time information on the database. I really thought that TMS stored the time using UTC format, then each user can show the conference and view the time according to their time format.

Is my understanding really incorrect? Will I really have to manually change the time for the scheduled conferences (those scheduled using GMT -3 Salvador) that past DST shift?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Paulo Souza

We already have scheduled conferences that past DST shift. And this is  bringing many issues for us, because when the users search the  conferences using the "List Conference" page, the conference whose date  is after DST shift, the start time is shown with one hour of difference.  That causes much confusion for the users.

Yes, and to be expected since your users are using a different time zone than what they should.

Therefore, in this moment we are discussing the possibility of bring all  the users back to the GMT -3 Brasilia and then give instructions to the  users to manually create recurrence scheduling. We are probably going  to use this option as workaround.

To be honest, I think this would be the best work around since if your users continue to book using the wrong time zone now and past the DST shift (and then possibly past the next DST shift), your just exasperating the issue.

rgds,

Dale

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: