cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS scheduling - Point to Point C40 to C40 call using MCU even with "except Point-Point" on ?

MARK BEDWANI
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I am going live this week with a new installation of TMS 14.2.1. I have a mixture of C/EX/SX and CTS endpoints in TMS. I have encountered a strange behavior with a scheduled Point to Point booking with certain type of endpoints.

Issue is this:

When making a booking either by TMSxe/Exchange OR directly via TMS web page. With the TMS Set to External MCU usage in Routing "always, Except Point to Point".

Point to Point - CTS endpoint to CTS end point Call is a direct call – Normal.

Point to Point - CTS to TB or TB to CTS – Call is direct call – Normal.

Point to Point - TB to TB booking – TMS books the bridge when it should not. Client does not want Point to Point traffic to go the the bridge.

Anyone seen this before or have any advice I could try.

Regs Mark.

14 Replies 14

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mark,

I just replicated your problem using TMS 14.2.2 and some Profile 55/C40 with TC6. I set MCU usage parameter to "always, except point to point". I can schedule point to point conferences with Tandberg endpoints normally with no MCU. I also set the option prefered MCU to either MCU, TP Server or Conductor. In all the situations I never get a MCU being used in a scheduled point to point call. Regarding MCUs, I have TP Server 3.0, 8510 4.3 and Conductor XC2.1.

One detail, I am using the normal booking page to schedule, not Smart Scheduler.

What do you think about upgrading to 14.2.2? Cisco always recomends to use the latest software version available.

I hope this help.

Paulo Souza

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Hi Paulo,

Thanks for trying this, Yes I am using the TP server MCU and the standard Web booking page from TMS.

About to go live with the system that has passed all other testing, it will be hard to upgrade TMS in hopes of fixing this issue, might have to try it in the LAB first.

Thanks anyhow.

Can anyone else out there confirm if TMS 14.2.1 has this issue ?

thanks.

Hi Guys, all sorted now,

There is a bug with TMS 14.2.x, when you have the setting Administrative Tools -> Configuration -> Conference Settings set to "Conference Default IP Bandwidth:" for endpoints to 6114 kbps it will add the bridge. Once I changed this setting to 4096 kbps it no longer adds the bridge. You can leave the "Default Immersive Bandwidth:" to 6114 kbps without a problem.

Nice to know.

Regs Mark.

Hi Mark,

I understand your point. But it is not a bug, it is an expected and strange behavior (although is a little stupid).

The problem is not directly related to the "Conference Default IP Bandwidth" parameter, it is related to the "IP bandwidth" in the scheduling page, because if you set conference IP bandwidth to 6144, the problem occurs, even if the global Conference Default IP bandwidth is set to 4096 or less. But in fact, it is not that parameter alone, the fact here is, TMS cannot schedule a conference and set TC endpoints to dial out using 6144 Kbps of bandwidth, because the Maximum bandwidth supported by TC endpoints is 6000.

That's why you can schedule CTS to CTS and CTS to TB, because in both cases TMS will set the CTS endpoint to start the point to point conference by dialling out using bandwidth of 6144, because CTS is able to dial out using 6144, but TC endpoints not.

To prove this, do this:

• Go to system navigator, choose any TC endpoint and go to "settings" tab, take a look at the "Maximum IP bandiwdth" field, the value is 6000 and cannot be changed.
  • Still, go to "call status" page and try to make a call using 6144, that won't work, unless you choose 4096 or a less value or choose max

In my opinion, this is a stupid behavior, because I think that TMS should set the endpoint to dial out using  its maximum bandwidth supported rather than inserting a MCU to route the call, or it should at least show a warning message when scheduling informing that you cannot set 6144 Kbps for TC endpoints, or it should give us the option to set a custom bandwidth value instead just a list with few values.

Also, If you call out from TC endpoints using system navigator, you can set banwidth to "max", so that the endpoint can dial out using its maximum capacity. However, when scheduling, we don't have this option, instead, TMS inserts the MCU without asking and without advising anything!! That is bad!  =/

You can raise a feature request in order to have this behavior changed, although I agree that it could be treated as a bug or at least as known limitation.

Paulo Souza

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Paulo, it is actually an open bug. I will post you the bug number later.

/Magnus

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Correction.. Not a bug but a feature request. It was opened in 2011. CSCtr91647.

It is actually mentioned in TMS 13.2 release notes but its left out of the 14.x ones..

/Magnus

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Magnus,

I am aware it is not a bug, like I mentioned above (Although I think that Cisco should treat it as a bug or at least as a known limitation). But I was not aware that there is a feature request already opened for that issue. That is great. Thanks for advise.

Well, do you know if Cisco has plans to improve this issue in the next versions? What about TMS 14.3?

Thanks in advance.

Paulo Souza

Hi

Not sure if that is prioritized at the moment. Yes, it should be mentioned, I found it in the TMS 13.2 release notes as an open issue, but not in the newest release notes. I can check this out tomorrow...

/Magnus

Hi paulo, I see that BUG # CSCtr91647 is planned to get fixed in 14.3 which should be available in few weeks.

BR/Mahesh Adithiyha

Hi folks,

Thanks for the feedback. One of our customers would like to have that issue resolved. It is great to know that we will have it fixed in 14.3.

Regards

Paulo Souza

Hi,

It is targeted for 14.4, not 14.3. We haven't yet decided whether we are going to change the logic (so that we fall back to "max"), but we are considering it.

-Kjetil

Hi Kjetil,

Thanks for confirming the correct version. Do you know when 14.4 will be released?

Thanks

Paulo Souza

Paulo Souza wrote:

[...] Do you know when 14.4 will be released? [...]

We are aiming for January, but it is too early to say for sure.

-Kjetil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: