cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TMSPE Phonebooks for Different System Types

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is there a way to specify which phonebooks get sent to Jabber Video users, and a different set of phonebooks to a different group of users such as those using an EX60, etc?

I currently have Jabber Video and an EX60 provisioned under my name.  Be default we only allow our Jabber Video users to dial fellow Jabber Video users or desktop systems such as the E20/EX series.  Now that we're starting to look at provisioning EX60s, I'd like those specific devices to be able to call any of the other various phonebook entries, and not be so limited to just those the user can call with Jabber Video.

TMS 14.2.2, TMSPE 1.1, VCS 7.2.2

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Well, I think you can just add this system to TMS navigator as a common system (not a provisioned system). Then you can add the URI address of this endpoint to the FindMe user profile. So, you will be able to set a specific phonebook for Jabber (the phonebook applied to provisioning directory) and a different phonebook for EX (the phonebook applied directly to the device in system navigator).

Paulo Souza

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

View solution in original post

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That is correct you can define addresses at will for the findme uri. So you don't have to provision the ex but its much simpler to provision it through tmspe. Obviously it is easier with one address to reach them all then keep separate phonebooks. And yes I dont think, as paulo is saying, that you can make this separate pb without having 2 provisioning users or use tms to provision the system, or using a manual pb at this time. I hope you find a good solution! ;)

/Magnus

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Patrick,

The phonebook created on TMS is associated to the whole provisioning directory. You can create many different phonebooks and then give access to the desirable provisioning directories.But you cannot set a phonebook for a specific user or device within the provisioning directory, you set phonebook(s) to the whole provisioning directory.

Therefore, if you want o have different phonebook sources applied to Jabber and EX endpoints, they must to be placed into different provisioning directories in TMSPE. So I don't think it will be possible to have different phonebooks for Jabber and EX if you have just one single user for both devices. Because you would have to create a provisioning directory to place jabber and another to place EX series, but this is the problem, what about the user? You cannot create a user in both directories, so you would need to have two users, one for EX60 and another for Jabber.

Do you really need to provision EX? Cannot you use pre-registration + auto discovery features of TMS to apply the config to EX endpoints?

Regards

Paulo Souza

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

The thought about the provisioning the EX endpoints was so utilize FindMe and so both Jabber Video and EX have the same dialing address.  I've thought about just adding the endpoint into TMS and simply assigning it the same dialing scheme as the propositioned user, however I'm not sure if there is an upside or down to either method..?

Well, I think you can just add this system to TMS navigator as a common system (not a provisioned system). Then you can add the URI address of this endpoint to the FindMe user profile. So, you will be able to set a specific phonebook for Jabber (the phonebook applied to provisioning directory) and a different phonebook for EX (the phonebook applied directly to the device in system navigator).

Paulo Souza

Oh, I thought FindMe was based on the provisioned devices, didn't know you could specify specific address at will.  We're moving into FindMe, so we haven't set it up, but just in the early thinking/planning phase of the possibilities.

The thinking of the provisioning was to have the one address via FindMe, and utilize the provisioning directory to provide a unique address for each endpoint based on their system type.

Well, I am not sure about TMSPE, but when I used FindMe page in VCS, there was a option to add a device using a specific address pattern. You can try to find similar option in TMSPE findMe portal. Unfortunately, I don't have any TMS here with findMe enable to test.

Paulo Souza

There is that option, I checked.  Just trying to figure out now, how I'd like to move forward.

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That is correct you can define addresses at will for the findme uri. So you don't have to provision the ex but its much simpler to provision it through tmspe. Obviously it is easier with one address to reach them all then keep separate phonebooks. And yes I dont think, as paulo is saying, that you can make this separate pb without having 2 provisioning users or use tms to provision the system, or using a manual pb at this time. I hope you find a good solution! ;)

/Magnus

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks Mangus, it's really come down to asking myself, what would those that are using say and EX endpoint need access to the entire phonebook source.  The only thing that I can think of would be someone like me, who is an admin and would need the entire phonebook to quickly reach into a room for whatever reason, than a simple user who only needs the ability to call out to their fellow users on their level of needed ability.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: