Views
Helpful
Replies

Touch pairing and C-series API

Bob Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Hello all!

I believe I know the reasoning behind this, but wanted the official nod.  It was brought to our attention that when a Touch is paired to a C-series codec, either directly or over the LAN, some of the API becomes inaccessible.  I have verified this independently.  Specifically, the commands for IR remote key simulation are not usable any longer.

I figure this is on purpose, yes?  And I understand why since once the Touch is paired parts of the OSD go away, as well as the ability to use the IR remote with the codec.

The reason this is important to our customer is because they want to use both the Touch and a Crestron controller.  I guess the Touch for dialing and phonebooks and the Crestron to continue to access the Advance Configuration from the OSD.

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Seems a little strange that they want to use both... it wouldn't be that difficult to add the dialling and phonebooks to the Crestron controller.

What's the Crestron doing that specifically needs it to simulate the IR?  It'd be much better if it interacted directly with the codec via the other API commands rather than emulating a remote control.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hi Wayne,

I agree, and advised them against IR remote emulation, but that's what they want to do.  There must be something in the OSD that is important to them to be able to navigate to.

Thanks!

If there's something in the OSD menus that they want to be able to  trigger, simply add a button to the Crestron controller to toggle that  setting on/off/whetever rather than navigating menus... that gives a much better user experience.

It's probably more likely they don't want to pay whoever programmed their Crestron up to come back and modify it.  Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that happen.  And usually causes more grief in the long term.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Bob Fitzgerald wrote:

Hi Wayne,

I agree, and advised them against IR remote emulation, but that's what they want to do.  There must be something in the OSD that is important to them to be able to navigate to.

Thanks!

Sounds like what you need to do is understand their use case.  The libraries for the codec from crestron/etc should not be relying on IR remotes.. and any decent controller implementation is not going to just be providing the same buttons as the remote control.  The OSD is not going to be available when the touch is in use... but all functionality is going to be available via the true API commands to implement things via a external controller if desired.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: