Views
Helpful
Replies

Transport = TLS

maciej_wilk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

how does TLS exactly work when not using certificates?

For example when an E20 registers with the VCS having default transport set to TLS.

Kind regards

Maciek

4 Replies 4

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First of all the VCS has a default server certificate, you can find it here:

https:///securitycertificates

About the TLS handshake you can find more on the net, like wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security#Simple_TLS_handshake

Client-authenticated TLS handshake

The following full example shows a client being authenticated  (in addition to the server like above) via TLS using certificates  exchanged between both peers.

1. Negotiation Phase:
    • A client sends a ClientHello message specifying the highest  TLS protocol version it supports, a random number, a list of suggested  cipher suites and compression methods.
    • The server responds with a ServerHello message, containing  the chosen protocol version, a random number, cipher suite and  compression method from the choices offered by the client. The server  may also send a session id as part of the message to perform a resumed handshake.
    • The server sends its Certificate message (depending on the selected cipher suite, this may be omitted by the server).[31]
    • The server requests a certificate from the client, so that the connection can be mutually authenticated, using a CertificateRequest message.
    • The server sends a ServerHelloDone message, indicating it is done with handshake negotiation.
    • The client responds with a Certificate message, which contains the client's certificate.
    • The client sends a ClientKeyExchange message, which may contain a PreMasterSecret, public key, or nothing. (Again, this depends on the selected cipher.) This PreMasterSecret is encrypted using the public key of the server certificate.
    • The client sends a CertificateVerify message, which is a  signature over the previous handshake messages using the client's  certificate's private key. This signature can be verified by using the  client's certificate's public key. This lets the server know that the  client has access to the private key of the certificate and thus owns  the certificate.
    • The client and server then use the random numbers and PreMasterSecret to compute a common secret, called the "master secret". All other key  data for this connection is derived from this master secret (and the  client- and server-generated random values), which is passed through a  carefully designed pseudorandom function.
  2. The client now sends a ChangeCipherSpec record, essentially  telling the server, "Everything I tell you from now on will be  authenticated (and encrypted if encryption was negotiated)." The  ChangeCipherSpec is itself a record-level protocol and has type 20 and  not 22.
    • Finally, the client sends an encrypted Finished message, containing a hash and MAC over the previous handshake messages.
    • The server will attempt to decrypt the client's Finished message and verify the hash and MAC. If the decryption or verification  fails, the handshake is considered to have failed and the connection  should be torn down.
  3. Finally, the server sends a ChangeCipherSpec, telling the client, "Everything I tell you from now on will be authenticated (and encrypted if encryption was negotiated)."
    • The server sends its own encrypted Finished message.
    • The client performs the same decryption and verification.
  4. Application phase: at this point, the "handshake" is complete and  the application protocol is enabled, with content type of 23.  Application messages exchanged between client and server will also be  encrypted exactly like in their Finished message. The application will never again return TLS encryption information without a type 32 apology.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Hi Martin,

I'm talking about a situation when not using certificates.

From the E20 admin guide: "If no such CA-list is available on the system then anonymous Diffie Hellman will be used.". So also having TLS Verify set to Off means that you're not using certificates. At least that is my understanding.

Kind regards

Maciek

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=anonymous+Diffie+Hellman+tls+key+exchange&l=1

F.1.1.1. Anonymous key exchange

Completely anonymous sessions can be established using RSA or    Diffie-Hellman for key exchange. With anonymous RSA, the client    encrypts a pre_master_secret with the server's uncertified public key    extracted from the server key exchange message. The result is sent in    a client key exchange message. Since eavesdroppers do not know the    server's private key, it will be infeasible for them to decode the    pre_master_secret. (Note that no anonymous RSA Cipher Suites are    defined in this document).

With Diffie-Hellman, the server's public parameters are contained in    the server key exchange message and the client's are sent in the    client key exchange message. Eavesdroppers who do not know the    private values should not be able to find the Diffie-Hellman result    (i.e. the pre_master_secret).

Warning: Completely anonymous connections only provide protection           against passive eavesdropping. Unless an independent tamper-           proof channel is used to verify that the finished messages           were not replaced by an attacker, server authentication is           required in environments where active man-in-the-middle           attacks are a concern.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

No need to be rude Martin. I have found the answer myself, the earlier post provided it and explained what I meant as your previous answer had nothing to do with the question asked.