Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to Access TMS after Installing AD and DNS

Saurabh Gupta
Level 3
Level 3

Hi  Experts,

I recently install TMS on my Win Server 2008 and I used to access TMS on that machine. Today, I installed AD and DNS on the same machine but after rebooting I am no longer able to access TMS and I get error , Below mentioned are technical information which caused the failure :-

Error:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Details:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning()

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(ServerInfo serverInfo, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, TimeoutTimer timeout, SqlConnection owningObject)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, TimeoutTimer timeout)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, TimeoutTimer timeout, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()

at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteReader(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText, Int32 commandTimeout, SqlParameter[] commandParameters)

at Tandberg.TMS.Framework.Db.DbHelper.ExecuteReaderWithRetries(String spName, Int32 commandTimeout, SqlParameter[] parameterValues)

MachineName:WIN-OT5YTWD00VK

TimeStamp:4/10/2012 6:15:28 PM

AssemblyName:App_Web_vo5dunkp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

AppDomainName:/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/TMS-1-129785353093800351

ThreadIdentity:NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

WindowsIdentity:NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

URL:http://localhost/TMS/default.aspx

Could anyone help me with this.

Regards,

Saurabh

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

AD and DNS can be on the same server bu not the same server as the TMS server. The TMS server needs to be dedicated to TMS. You can just remove the roles from the server. Setup a sparate server to be the DC and setup AD and DNS on that instead.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

Promoting a server running SQL Server to a Domain Controller is guaranteed to break SQL Server in so many ways… This is for a demo/lab setup, right? Then I suggest using three separate Windows servers:

1. TMS, SQL Server, TMSXE 3, and Outlook.
  2. AD and DNS.
  3. Exchange (all server roles).

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Saurabh

I hope you did not install AD and DNS on the TMS server since that is not supported. Is the SQL server external or is it locally on the machine? Are you using the SA account or a windows account to connect to the SQL?

/Magnus

Hi Magnus,

Yes, I installed AD and DNS on the same server as i think we cannot install AD, DNS on Exchange Server.

SQL server is locally on TMS server , I am using SA account to connect to SQL..

Could you tell me the procedure to rectify it?

I am still working on that TMS integration with TMSXE.

How can I undo the above process.

Regards,

Saurabh

Promoting a server running SQL Server to a Domain Controller is guaranteed to break SQL Server in so many ways… This is for a demo/lab setup, right? Then I suggest using three separate Windows servers:

1. TMS, SQL Server, TMSXE 3, and Outlook.
  2. AD and DNS.
  3. Exchange (all server roles).

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

AD and DNS can be on the same server bu not the same server as the TMS server. The TMS server needs to be dedicated to TMS. You can just remove the roles from the server. Setup a sparate server to be the DC and setup AD and DNS on that instead.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks Magnus and Kjetil....

I will install all these three servers and Will proceed to work on this again....

Hi Magnus,

Yesterday, I successfully installed AD, DNS and TMS on same server, without any issue.

Till now i am not facing any issue, Please confirm me whether this is suitable condition or not, as according to this discussion it doesn't seems to me.

Regards,

Vivek

Hi Vivek

It's not supported as the TMS server has to be dedicated for the TMS application. For test environments there is room for experimenting but a setup like this will not be supported by TAC if any problems occur.

/Magnus

Thanks Magnus

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: